Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

Hello! Looking for glues!

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
UltimateSteve

Hello! Looking for glues!

Post by UltimateSteve » Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Hello. My (user) name is Ultimate Steve. I first got started in Water Rocketry a few weeks ago, and have built two water rockets. I am building a third, bigger one, but it's progression is being limited by two factors:
1) The current rate of soda consumption in my household (I need more 2l bottles)
2) I don't know what glue to use for PET plastic.

Number two is my main problem... In order to make "spliced pairs" you need to glue two bottles together. I have done some searching, and I haven't found any glues that will work very well on PET plastic. I know about PL Premium and Sikaflex-whatever, but I don't think either one is sold anywhere near where I live...

Any Suggestions? (for the glue)

skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello! Looking for glues!

Post by skysaber89 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:54 am

I have, in the past, used loctite marine epoxy. It was very strong, and as far as I'm aware it never sprung any leaks. I used it up to 150 Psi? I think. The main reason people would use sikaflex or pl premium, to my knowledge, is because it allows for the splice to flex, as the glues do not dry rock solid. i would honestly recommend you go out and find a bunch of different adhesives and just test them, and then report back to us to share the love. I know there are a lot of people out there in the same situation as yourself.

skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by skysaber89 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:55 am

Also, :W to the forum

NCWaterRockets

Post by NCWaterRockets » Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 am

Question 1.) Depending on where you are (i.e US) you can get grocery store brand seltzer or tonic water for $0.80 per bottle.
Question 2.) PL Premium construction adhesive located in your local hardware store (not sure about ACE hardware, some places don't carry it) is a very good glue. Here is a link to a tutorial to get you started! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGxOnuNxDoQ

:W

Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:15 am

NCWaterRockets wrote:
Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 am
Question 1.) Depending on where you are (i.e US) you can get grocery store brand seltzer or tonic water for $0.80 per bottle.
Question 2.) PL Premium construction adhesive located in your local hardware store (not sure about ACE hardware, some places don't carry it) is a very good glue. Here is a link to a tutorial to get you started! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGxOnuNxDoQ

:W

Some places = Philippines

Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous