Hello! Looking for glues!

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
UltimateSteve

Hello! Looking for glues!

Post by UltimateSteve »

Hello. My (user) name is Ultimate Steve. I first got started in Water Rocketry a few weeks ago, and have built two water rockets. I am building a third, bigger one, but it's progression is being limited by two factors:
1) The current rate of soda consumption in my household (I need more 2l bottles)
2) I don't know what glue to use for PET plastic.

Number two is my main problem... In order to make "spliced pairs" you need to glue two bottles together. I have done some searching, and I haven't found any glues that will work very well on PET plastic. I know about PL Premium and Sikaflex-whatever, but I don't think either one is sold anywhere near where I live...

Any Suggestions? (for the glue)
skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello! Looking for glues!

Post by skysaber89 »

I have, in the past, used loctite marine epoxy. It was very strong, and as far as I'm aware it never sprung any leaks. I used it up to 150 Psi? I think. The main reason people would use sikaflex or pl premium, to my knowledge, is because it allows for the splice to flex, as the glues do not dry rock solid. i would honestly recommend you go out and find a bunch of different adhesives and just test them, and then report back to us to share the love. I know there are a lot of people out there in the same situation as yourself.
skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by skysaber89 »

Also, :W to the forum
NCWaterRockets

Post by NCWaterRockets »

Question 1.) Depending on where you are (i.e US) you can get grocery store brand seltzer or tonic water for $0.80 per bottle.
Question 2.) PL Premium construction adhesive located in your local hardware store (not sure about ACE hardware, some places don't carry it) is a very good glue. Here is a link to a tutorial to get you started!

:W
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

NCWaterRockets wrote: Fri May 20, 2016 12:04 am Question 1.) Depending on where you are (i.e US) you can get grocery store brand seltzer or tonic water for $0.80 per bottle.
Question 2.) PL Premium construction adhesive located in your local hardware store (not sure about ACE hardware, some places don't carry it) is a very good glue. Here is a link to a tutorial to get you started!

:W

Some places = Philippines
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous