Dabbling in Rocketry

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
samandan

Dabbling in Rocketry

Post by samandan »

Hi All,

My 10 year old son and I, from Hampshire (UK) have been experimenting with single stage rockets with some success and have found the Fullbore launcher an easy place to start from, for a bit of fun.

However, No 1 son wants to progress to a two stage rocket and we've been looking at the Air Command website and the Gardena Quick Connector method. However we've been unable to find a reasonable priced alternative. We found this exact match on Amazon (UK) and I almost fell off my chair when I saw the price - £92.00.

Has anyone got any sensible alternatives that are readily available in the UK?

Thanks

Sam & Dan
fenrisulfr

Re: Dabbling in Rocketry

Post by fenrisulfr »

Hi there and :W

Only days old myself in the forum. Hozelock is the UK branded type hose fittings. Though you can get 'generic' sets as well for far less than the cost of the aforementioned. Homebase has a tap fitting for less than £3 that is compatible with Hozelock. The only catch as I have found with the cheap set from screwfix, I got, is the tap fitting you use as the nozzle suits a 1/2 tap. So filing the bottle threads down is required to get a fit and then you have to permanently glue the nozzle in place.
The above work exactly the same way as Gardena and I expect price may reflect quality and lifespan (Except on Amazon where I think someone is having a laugh! Gardena is not gold plated after all, but is used because it works for 'us')

Gardena parts are available through ebay at similar prices to hozelock and through garden centres that stock it in the UK (Googled it and it is about over here).

Good luck

Fen
samandan

Re: Dabbling in Rocketry

Post by samandan »

Thanks Fen,

We're expecting some Hozelock fittings in the post from Amazon as I decided to take a "punt" and see if they would do , so fingers crossed we can take it apart without breaking the collar!

Cheers,

Dan (And Sam)