Greetings from Alachua, FL!!

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
captike

Greetings from Alachua, FL!!

Post by captike »

Hi there,
I'm Josh from Alachua, FL just outside Gainesville (Go Gators!). I saw water bottle rockets for the first time a few weeks ago at a STEM event at my daughters school. I was immediately impressed. I used to do model rocketry when I was a kid (many moons ago) and thought these were so cool. I immediately set out to build two cable tie launchers to take on our beach vacation coming up in the end of July. I recently finished building those and working all of the bugs out of them and now have moved onto the rocket itself. After a couple days of launches, I have now found I desperately need a reliable recovery system. The force the rocket gets on impact is fairly destructive. My next goal is to start building an altimeter/parachute deploy system, so I'm sure I'll be back here many times until I get it working correctly. I'm not looking to set any records or anything, but I think a good personal goal is to reach 500 feet with just a couple of bottles spliced together. I look forward to talking to everyone!!