Greetings from Portland Oregon, USA!

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Braaainz
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Greetings from Portland Oregon, USA!

Post by Braaainz »

Hello everyone!
My name is Brian. I'm a middle aged nerd, no kids but still play like I am one.
I have always been fascinated by aeronautics. My parents bought me one of those Radio Shack aeronautics kits when I was a wee little one. Truth be told, it was not a very good kit, but it was my first attempt at building a traditional model rocket.

My first one that actually flew was an Estes Gremlin. I think it lasted 3 flights before the shock cord broke in midflight, with pieces all flying in different directions.

I then built a wide number, capturing an actually decent picture of a hot air balloon championship launch with my Astrocam 110 (probably my best flight ever).

I abandoned rocketry until I was in my twenties. I was volunteering for a couple of science museums/centers, as well as helping some RC plane enthusiasts do air shows for schools; They all encouraged me to get back into rocketry.

They didn't succeed.

Closest anyone came was the local science center sending me to a NASA workshop where we assembled the old U-Lock PVC launchers. I did a ton of rocketry classes for elementary school kids. When I left that city though, I only brought out the launcher on hot days to make noise and spray water.

The launcher finally broke 21 years later (last year). With a heat wave in effect here, I decided to build another launcher.

I was utterly floored at how far the sport progressed. Multi-stages, boosters, parachute ejection systems, FTC bodies (as well reinforced ones, RC boost gliders, electronic packages. Wow. Just wow.

I cheated a bit, I bought a stratolauncher IV for my launcher instead of hand-making it on my own. One of the maiden flights resulted in the immediate loss of one rocket as it sailed out of sight. Yeah, I miss-judged how far 60 pounds of pressure will get you with a gardena nozzle.

Anyway, glad I found the forum!