hello everone

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

hello everone

Post by monboy10 »

hi i am pretty new here and i would like to interduce myself i am monboy i am 11 and i got sarted in water rockets quite a while ago but they were just little cheap one like a normal pop bottle with a needle inflator through a cork pluged into the end the i would pump it up with a bike pump they were fun but did not go very high

then i got a little more complex and made a little device that holds it down onto the cork that one was much more fun and it went higher than the other ones

and now i have built a "good" launcher it is a pvc pipe and it uses cable ties and a lock colar to hold it down onto a pice of pvc pipe with a buldge in it to make it tighter seal i am trying to think of a way to make some easy guild rails and i can't use metal for them and these rocket go very high and right now i am trying to make some bigger rockets with spliced bottles

and some of my other hobbies and rc cars,rc airplanes,rockets (water and "real")reading building TV video game ect

thank you for reading this post
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: hello everone

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see you progressing through increasingly advanced rockets and launchers. Helping people learn and achieve more goals is something we all love to do here.

My first suggestion to you would be to add an O-ring to your launcher to seal the bottles. You will get much higher flights with way, plus you can use the pipe inside as a launch tube and you won't need to build guide rails on your launcher.

Nice to meet you!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

ok thanks for the launch rod idea i might make it so that i can put in different lenths of wooden dowl and i also think that i will plug the hole on the end of the pvc pipe and then drill holes angled down so that not as much water can get in. what sized O-ring should i use? :WRA2:
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

there is another way without using an "O" ring or the pipe expansion or even teflon tape , the 20mm pipe has a coupler for joining two pipes together , if you file the centre stop out of this you can slide it down the pipe and glue it in position....now the trick is that it is fractionaly too big to fit in the bottle , so take a piece of sandpaper and slowly sand it into a slight taper, i insert about 12mm-15mm inside the bottle and then glue a piece of cut and split 25mm pipe at the 15mm point , (to stop the bottle jamming on the coupler) this makes an excellent seal ( between 7 and 8 bar before the rocket self launches without being held in place with the cable ties ) i have pressure tested the joint to 13 bar with no leaks

i will try and post some images in the launcher forum in the next few days
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

with my rocket launcher the pipe can only handle 40 psi and i only use a old half broken bike pump that i found and fixed i think that i will add a gauge to tell me the psi
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

monboy10 wrote:hi i am pretty new here and i would like to interduce myself i am monboy i am 11 and i got sarted in water rockets quite a while ago but they were just little cheap one like a normal pop bottle with a needle inflator through a cork pluged into the end the i would pump it up with a bike pump they were fun but did not go very high

then i got a little more complex and made a little device that holds it down onto the cork that one was much more fun and it went higher than the other ones

and now i have built a "good" launcher it is a pvc pipe and it uses cable ties and a lock colar to hold it down onto a pice of pvc pipe with a buldge in it to make it tighter seal i am trying to think of a way to make some easy guild rails and i can't use metal for them and these rocket go very high and right now i am trying to make some bigger rockets with spliced bottles

and some of my other hobbies and rc cars,rc airplanes,rockets (water and "real")reading building TV video game ect

thank you for reading this post
Hi Monboy and welcome to the forum. :W
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

thank you i am glad to be here.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member