New to List

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Billkuhl53

New to List

Post by Billkuhl53 »

Hi, I have been doing water rockets for about a year now, model airplanes for 40 years, most of my life. I helped with a park rec program which was suppose to be Model Airplanes and Rockets, but there were no rockets. Solid fuel seemed to expensive, so I tried water rockets. I have a video about it on youtube, my model airplane videos are ther too under user youbub33.

Bill
[youtube][/youtube]
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to List

Post by WRA2 »

Billkuhl53 wrote:Hi, I have been doing water rockets for about a year now, model airplanes for 40 years, most of my life. I helped with a park rec program which was suppose to be Model Airplanes and Rockets, but there were no rockets. Solid fuel seemed to expensive, so I tried water rockets. I have a video about it on youtube, my model airplane videos are ther too under user youbub33.

Bill
Welcome to the forum Bill, :W

Did you make that clamping mechanism shown in the video.

By the way, put the youtube video URL in between the tags and it will embed in the post. I fixed it for you. :)
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hello Bill,

Thanks for sharing the wonderful video! I really enjoyed the progreesive advancements you documented as you made each rocket and each discovery. Your editing and production is really well done and looks better than some of the training videos we have to sit through at work!

I noticed one thing in your video that made me curious. Your launcher appears to be made from PVC pipes but you have a fittng piece with 3 outlets connected at 90 degrees from each other so that it forms a tripod type of deal when you put the pipes in it. I've never seen that kind of fitting before as I can't think of how useful that would be for plumbine or electrical conduit. Where did you get that from?

Thanks for sharing your video. I think it is a really good introduction to water rockets and I'm going to make sure to link to it when people ask about water rockets!

Welcome to the forum!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Billkuhl53

Post by Billkuhl53 »

The launcher is the Pitsco launcher, it has a tripod made from 3 pvc pipes. As mentioned in the video, I also bought their cheaper launcher but have not used it yet, it looks like it would not work for rockets where the fins hang below the nozzle.

Thanks on the video, my intent is to share activites where kids can learn science; such as rockets, kites, and airplanes. Search youbub33 to see the rest of the videos.

Bill Kuhl
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Billkuhl53 wrote:The launcher is the Pitsco launcher, it has a tripod made from 3 pvc pipes. As mentioned in the video, I also bought their cheaper launcher but have not used it yet, it looks like it would not work for rockets where the fins hang below the nozzle.

Thanks on the video, my intent is to share activites where kids can learn science; such as rockets, kites, and airplanes. Search youbub33 to see the rest of the videos.

Bill Kuhl
I enjoyed the video, Bill. Thanks for linking to it! Do you agree that math and science are not as appealing to kids in school anymore? I think back in the day when we went to the moon that there was a lot more kids who were interested in science and rockets and space than there are today. I get the sense that science was more glamorous back in those days and now everyone is not interested so much. I hope we go back to the moon and on to Mars in the near future and get everone excited again. And think of how much that a project like that would stimulate the economy!

But until then we can work together here to brainstorm ways to get kids interested. Videos like yours are sure going to help!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Billkuhl53

Re: Math and Science - Models

Post by Billkuhl53 »

I fiind the kids have not been exposed to model rockets, airplanes, kites, etc. like kids in the past. No doubt video games have something to do with it. They seem to have more trouble building things than I did at that age. Many seem to need or want constant help, instead of trying to figure it out on their own. The water rockets really seem to capture their interest once they see it. Not sure how to get them to move to further levels, but I am working on it.

Giving demo's to college students, they say almost nothing. I hear that all the time. That is why I think it is important to spark interest early.

Bill Kuhl
noarrogance

Post by noarrogance »

This video is great!!!
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Billkuhl53 wrote:The launcher is the Pitsco launcher, it has a tripod made from 3 pvc pipes. As mentioned in the video, I also bought their cheaper launcher but have not used it yet, it looks like it would not work for rockets where the fins hang below the nozzle.

Bill Kuhl
Hi Bill,

What I was really wondering is where you get a PVC elbow joint that has three connections? It's like a tee joint with a right angle elbow built in. I have never seen a pipe like that in any plumbing I have ever encountered. What the heck is the thing used for?
Spaceman Spiff
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Bill Kuhl
Hi Bill,

What I was really wondering is where you get a PVC elbow joint that has three connections? It's like a tee joint with a right angle elbow built in. I have never seen a pipe like that in any plumbing I have ever encountered. What the heck is the thing used for?
It's a commercial launcher, so the parts are probably custom-made. See http://shop.pitsco.com/store/default.as ... 5&by=9&c=1.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Hi Spaceman!

I think the parts you are looking for are PVC pipes that are made for making furniture. If you look it up you can find all sort of neat connectors and parts. They have pieces for end caps and special caps you can screw to a flat surface to make a table top, and strange oddball connectors like this:
PVC-4way_120.jpg
PVC-4way_120.jpg (2.81 KiB) Viewed 29 times
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Tim Chen wrote:Hi Spaceman!

I think the parts you are looking for are PVC pipes that are made for making furniture. If you look it up you can find all sort of neat connectors and parts. They have pieces for end caps and special caps you can screw to a flat surface to make a table top, and strange oddball connectors like this:
PVC-4way_120.jpg
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!

Thanks Tim!
Spaceman Spiff