Hello from a newbie rocketeer

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Swashy

Hello from a newbie rocketeer

Post by Swashy »

Hi people

My name is Ade and I live in Staffordhire, England, and just recently been introduced to the awesome fun of water rockets after buying one made by the Science Museum, this flies fantastic, and so decided to have a go at building my own, with help from my 8 year old son, Oliver.

This is my first flight of the homebuilt, and as you can see, it didnt work too well, I think we were a little over ambitious with our plans...

[youtube] [/youtube]

:D

Anyway if anyone has anyideas where we went wrong we would be most grateful.

Look forward to sharing info and getting help and advice from you guys, looks like a great forum for a great sport

Regards

Ade
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

Nice looking wrocket. I hope it didn't get ruined.

I think the real space shuttle uses engines that steer around to make it fly stable. For a water rocket we have to use fins until someone invents movable nozzles. If you add fins it won't look much like the space shuttle, but will fly nice.
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

Love the videos right in the post. Makes it easy to see what is being talked about without havinng to goto another site and come back.

Why not get your booster flying stably first before attempting to send up the shuttle.

You may want to try a smaller nozzle and a guide rod or longer guide rod

A smaller nozzle will make for a slower liftoff (your "shuttle" may have too much drag for the speed you are trying to fly by using a full size nozzle).
Swashy

Post by Swashy »

Thanks for the welcome

I will take your advice and do some test flights using fins on just the booster, get this flying first

I think a remake of the shuttle is in order maybe make it detach at altitude and glide back down, that would be cool

Meanwhile I have been building Rocket No 2, a Saturn V replica, due to be launched publicly, at the Peak Star Party this weekend, astronomy being my other hobby :D

Heres a pic of the rocket, before it gets destroyed :?

Video to follow :wink:

Regards

Ade
Attachments
Saturn V prior to launch.jpg
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

You do awesome work Swashy!

I have to ask you where you get the lettering for the rocket? It looks very professional. Did you make it?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Hi people

My name is Ade and I live in Staffordhire, England,
Welcome to the forum!!!

Quite impressive rockets you are building there. 8) Just the kind of thing we have in mind for our upcoming design and fabrication contest. :idea:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
The Mooseheads
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Mooseheads »

Welcome to the forum Swashy. Your rockets are works of art. I am looking forward to learning how you built that Saturn 5 rocket. How long did it take you to make it? Is it made from spliced bottles or does it use one bottle for the engine and the upper parts are decorative bottles giving it the distinctive shape?
Rick C.
The Mooseheads
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Hey Swashy! How did the launch of your fine looking Saturn V replica go?
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Swashy has gotten me inspired to keep working on my Orion water rocket. I've got the SRBs built but I tried painting it with red primer to look like the real thing and the primer cracked when I pressure tested the rocket. I heard there is a special flexible paint for plastic car bumpers I need to get.

I will keep you guys posted.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Swashy

Post by Swashy »

Hello again :D

The Saturn V was a partial sucess, but mostly a disater, first launch can be seen here......

[youtube][/youtube]

as you can see, I am good at failure :roll:

The second launch was actually a lot better, but I am still waiting for video footage from a friend, hopefully soon.

The Rocket was smashed on landing, but have learned a lot from the trials and hopefully will be re built with a better success next time

Ade
Swashy

Post by Swashy »

Tim Chen wrote:You do awesome work Swashy!

I have to ask you where you get the lettering for the rocket? It looks very professional. Did you make it?
Hi Tim, the lettering was simply done in photoshop, and printed out and stuck on the rocket, its all very temporary, as destruction was expected :D
Swashy

Post by Swashy »

The Mooseheads wrote:Welcome to the forum Swashy. Your rockets are works of art. I am looking forward to learning how you built that Saturn 5 rocket. How long did it take you to make it? Is it made from spliced bottles or does it use one bottle for the engine and the upper parts are decorative bottles giving it the distinctive shape?
Hi Mooshead, its all just decorative, ther's no science on my behalf, a single 2ltr cider bottle was the thrust chamber, the rest is just pure glamour :?

till next time

Take care

Ade
Swashy

Post by Swashy »

Heres me with my destroyd rocket :cry:
Attachments
saturn-V-destruction.jpg
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That looks like it could be repaired fairly easily. Only the top part got smashed. I've got some rockets I'm afraid to fly because I know they will get destroyed! You're a brave man!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Nice job!!!

What kind of paint do you use on your rockets? When I paint my rockets with enamel it cracks and flakes off when I put pressure in the rocket. Do you use a certain kind of paint? Thanks!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise