Need some help

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Swashy

Need some help

Post by Swashy »

Hi again :D

I have seen some rockets on web videos which look like they use more than one pop bottle joined together to create a bigger propulsion unit,

How is this possible, given the presurisation?

Sorry if this is a simple question 8)

Regards

Ade
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Need some help

Post by Tim Chen »

Swashy wrote:Hi again :D

I have seen some rockets on web videos which look like they use more than one pop bottle joined together to create a bigger propulsion unit,

How is this possible, given the presurisation?

Sorry if this is a simple question 8)

Regards

Ade
Hi Swashy!

We call it "bottle splicing" and there are many methods for doing this. If you find bottles of the right size you can cut the midsections out and slide them inside each other and stack them up, using a complete top and a comple bottom to form the ends. You can also made a sleeve out of the larger bottle and use that to cover a joint between two smaller diameter bottles cut apart. You can also cut apart bottles and use an iron to curl the cut edge over and make a lip that you can butt to another similar bottle and make a butt joint, You can combine sleeves with butt joints for higher pressures.

In all cases, the joints are glued together somehow. The best glue for this job is called "PL Premium Construction Adhesive". It only seems to be available in the U.S. for now.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:this is my multi-bottle rocket i made from 2 halfs from a 2L bottle and a 2.25L bottle (can use a 2L bottle but a 2.25L bottle is better), some vinyl swimming pool patch kit and some strong tape.
put the glue on 1 half and slide both halfs together. put glue around the connection and put a long vinyl patch over the glue then the sticky tape over that.

here's a pictue of everything including the rocket
Imagemy

here's a pictue of the glue and vinyl patch.