Stewart's Shops Recycled Bottles

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Stewart's Shops Recycled Bottles

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Have any of you guys seen the new plastic returnable bottles in the Stewart's Convenience stores? They are returnable for a refund and they wash and refill them. The neat thing is that they make them out of double layer PET, so they're really stiff and hold a lot of pressure. Last night I pressure tested one to 250PSI before it burst. I think if I can find them in "virgin" condition, they're even stronger. If they've been used and recycled a few times they get a little weaker. I am going to be watching for new ones now!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

What sizes do they com in Spaceman, Are they difficult to splice?
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WRA2 wrote:What sizes do they com in Spaceman, Are they difficult to splice?
They're 1.5 liter bottles. I have not had a chance to play with them too much so I can't say how they shrink or splice. One thing that worries me is that they seem to be made out of several layers of plastic, I had one burst and when I looked at the remains to see if I could tell what happened I saw that the plastic is 3 layers thick. One layer is the same like a regular bottle, but this is sandwiched between two extra layers that are half as thick or thereabout that thickness.

If you cut one open it's not obvious there are layers, but if you work at it you can peel them apart quite easily one you get it started. I think that only vacuum pressure holds them together.

I'm not sure this bodes well for splices, because the one layer would be the only one bonded to the other bottle. They might peel apart.

I will try more tests and see what I can discover.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

They make some beer bottles that same way out of PETE and you're right, they suck for splicing because they do peel apart.
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Cloud Dancers
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Cloud Dancers »

Mark Chen wrote:They make some beer bottles that same way out of PETE and you're right, they suck for splicing because they do peel apart.
I know and it is a shame because I have lots of those lying around :twisted: :lol:
The Cloud Dancers
Floating amongst the clouds