Bottle strength test

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Going For Time
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Bottle strength test

Post by Going For Time »

My coworker and I have been testing different types of bottles for their strength. We have a air compressor that is set to approximately 160 PSI. Surprisingly all bottles tested so far will hold this pressure for at least 4 to 5 seconds. We have only tested on 2 litter US brand drink bottles. The following are brands that have been tested: Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet 7-up, and a few cheep brands from the local Dollar store. I'll list more bottles from now on as they are retested for the fun factor.

So far the best bottle for holding up to 160 PSI is the Coke Zero, with times that exceed 1 minute without any outside interference RAT: .

The following posts will contain times and pressure and maybe some sort of external force RAT: or BO: along with the brand of the bottle.

These tests are done by professionals and should not be repeated by anyone else at home or at work...Safety Third! LS:
Going for Time
Interested in both Constructive and Distructive ways to use 2 liter bottles ;^)
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Bottle strength test

Post by Brian »

The bottles hold 160psi for 4-5 seconds before what happens?
Atleast it is possible to get Coke anywhere.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
teper
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by teper »

You say "times that exceed one minute". Is that one minute before they blow up, one minute before they start leaking. What?
Going For Time
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Going For Time »

Sorry fo rthe delay in answering these questions.

All of these times reflect how long the bottles hold up to the 160PSI of pressure before they explode. At this pressure bottles don't just leak. If a bottle begins to fail, it will explode with milliseconds of the failure. The only time a bottle has leaked and not exploded from the 160PSI pressure was due to an emperfection that opened up due the pressurization process.

My next experiment will be coming soon. (PVC pipe twist engine for stable flight!)

Happy flights!
Going For Time!
Going for Time
Interested in both Constructive and Distructive ways to use 2 liter bottles ;^)
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Going For Time wrote:Sorry fo rthe delay in answering these questions.

All of these times reflect how long the bottles hold up to the 160PSI of pressure before they explode. At this pressure bottles don't just leak. If a bottle begins to fail, it will explode with milliseconds of the failure. The only time a bottle has leaked and not exploded from the 160PSI pressure was due to an emperfection that opened up due the pressurization process.

My next experiment will be coming soon. (PVC pipe twist engine for stable flight!)

Happy flights!
Going For Time!
Your experiment sounds like you're going to try thrust vectoring to add spin to stabilize the rocket. This should work very well, but so far there really has never been a good example proving this idea works on water rockets well.

BTW, that's a cool Avatar!
heath loxton
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by heath loxton »

hi,
me at Pegasus X water rockets recently tested a spliced pair of 1.5L bottles to 100psi and they easily held the pressure for 30 seconds until the cord was pulled. the test was conducted with the boosters attached to the Launchpad, pointing down into a bin filled with water and the Launchpad weighted to the bin with bricks, this setup stopped the rockets from going anywhere. they had no water in them, just air.
I hope this helps!!!

cheers, Pegasus X water rockets :)
Pegasus water rockets - were up and on our way in 2014.
- The storm is coming to your skies in 2015.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

The best bottles to use are the Safeway or Walmart one liter bottles. Your better splicing the bottles together and making a two liter that way than using a two liter because of the extra drag. 8) You can use a high temp hot glue gun to melt the plastic in so that the bottles fit together. Then use JB Weld Clear to bond them together (5 minute appoxy 3240 psi). All of my spliced bottles are reinforced with fiberglass tape and repeatedly hold up to 180 psi from air compressor. I am new here. If you have any questions about this just reply. :razz:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:The best bottles to use are the Safeway or Walmart one liter bottles. Your better splicing the bottles together and making a two liter that way than using a two liter because of the extra drag. 8) You can use a high temp hot glue gun to melt the plastic in so that the bottles fit together. Then use JB Weld Clear to bond them together (5 minute appoxy 3240 psi). All of my spliced bottles are reinforced with fiberglass tape and repeatedly hold up to 180 psi from air compressor. I am new here. If you have any questions about this just reply. :razz:
JB Weld Clear sounds like a new glue for water rockets. Thanks for this suggestion.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison