High Pressure Water Rocket

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

High Pressure Water Rocket

Post by Blenderite »

I just built a high pressure water rocket. Since I don't have a local source for FTC, I choose to go with PVC instead. I am not sure how well it will work because it does seem to be a little heavy for it's size. I went with 1" PVC since I had that on hand. It is about 5 foot and a few inches. I used a regular quick release nozzle on it because I had a converter to convert from the PVC pipe to hose thread. The pipe says on it that the pipe can withstand 450 psi. I hope that it works.
IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG (4 MiB) Viewed 92 times
I plan on testing it tomorrow morning. I also plan on testing my 2-litre rocket as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Azriel
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: High Pressure Water Rocket

Post by Azriel »

be very sure when testing that pvc rocket you are FAR away from anything that might be damaged from a 5 pound plastic pole dropping at 200+ mph. good rule of thumb for ballistic tests is twice as far away as you calculate the rocket to be capable of reaching in height without factoring in air resistance. My original plan for a pvc rocket was to shave away some of the wall and then subsequently reinforce the rocket with fiberglass/carbon fiber sleeving.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

DogLover wrote:I just built a high pressure water rocket. Since I don't have a local source for FTC, I choose to go with PVC instead. I am not sure how well it will work because it does seem to be a little heavy for it's size. I went with 1" PVC since I had that on hand. It is about 5 foot and a few inches. I used a regular quick release nozzle on it because I had a converter to convert from the PVC pipe to hose thread. The pipe says on it that the pipe can withstand 450 psi. I hope that it works.
IMG_2563.JPG
I plan on testing it tomorrow morning. I also plan on testing my 2-litre rocket as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
-DogLover
Don't take this the wrong way, but the PVC rocket looks like it may not be very safe. If you use the pressures you say those cardboard fins will probably tear right off and the rocket will go unstable and go anywhere it wants to go. It's got not apparent recovery system so it will come down pretty hard in a random location. Don't fly this near anything you don't want damaged.

Just be careful. Explosions are not the only thing to worry about.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Hi, did you get a chance to fly it yet? Looks Like a very cool rocket.
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Couple bits of experience to be gained from this video (not mine):

[youtube][/youtube]

The phrase "I have no idea where it went" while it is still in the air is a bit unnerving.

If you change your cap to a plug and file off the edges, you could glue a small bottle that contains a recovery system in it to the top.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Wow this is a old thread. I completely forgot about this. Let's just say that the flight was less than spectacular. It only went about 30ft with 120psi. it was terribly heavy and was rather hideous. I ditched it for a 3ft T12 FTC rocket. It has performed much better. The FTC didn't have a recovery system on it because I didn't have a release timer or computer. However, if I am successful with the ServoChron without a MSP430 Launchpad board, I will definitely revisit the FTC rocket.

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Prodigy Rocketry
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Prodigy Rocketry »

It looked to me like there was only air being used for the launch. These would have been much more succesful with some reaction mass (water) departing the aft end. I suspect they may have doubled the altitude. Our 2 liter launches with just air were lack lustre; but the kids needed to see the difference. What a difference reaction mass makes.
Any opinion can be raised, but few grow up to become facts.