RC parachute??

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
october sky
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

RC parachute??

Post by october sky »

hey has anyone ever got the idea of a RC controled parachute decent???
da-water

Post by da-water »

what does "RC" mean?
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

da-water wrote:what does "RC" mean?
I think that October Sky's asking if anyone has done a "Radio Control" parachute deploy.

I've never seen it done before but I remember a while back on one of the defunct wrocket mailing lists that someone had suggested it. I've since come to believe that R/C is as good as any other deploy and that you could also do the same thing with a timer circuit or an altimeter signal. The real difficulty is taking a small electrical impulse and transferring it into a large mechanical force needed to push a parachute out. Once you work out how to push out the chute when a signal turns ON, then you can pick whatever controlling method you like. R/C would be a nice option for this.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
october sky
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by october sky »

No, i'm not talking about using RC to deploy the parachute(though that is a good idea) i'm talking about having it so you can turn the parachute, thus making the rocket run(where you go get your rocket) uneeded
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

october sky wrote:No, i'm not talking about using RC to deploy the parachute(though that is a good idea) i'm talking about having it so you can turn the parachute, thus making the rocket run(where you go get your rocket) uneeded
That's an interesting concept...

I think you would need to get plans for making a "parafoil", which is a parachute that's shaped like a wing. If you made a small scale parafoil then you could guide it with a single servo that pulled on the left or right side control lines just like a human parafoil does.

I think Burt Rutan did some tests for NASA a while back when he was doing concept work for a "Escape Pod" for the space station. It looked like a miniature space shuttle only it deployed a parafoil just before landing and they could "steer" it to a landing pad.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
october sky
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by october sky »

i know you have to have a parafoil to steer the chute. here is site that has just that! http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... chute3.htm
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

october sky wrote:i know you have to have a parafoil to steer the chute. here is site that has just that! http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... chute3.htm
That's quite interesting. I may not have to learn how to sew a parafoil such as this!

I like the way in which one can make the parafoil steer, as this would allow us to make it fly in a gentle circular path all the way to the ground. With an onboard camera we would have a super view of the raide all the way down!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
october sky
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by october sky »

so i'm guessing that this is a new idea? all you would need is two RC seros, and 2 way controler, and some other rc stuff
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

october sky wrote:so i'm guessing that this is a new idea? all you would need is two RC seros, and 2 way controler, and some other rc stuff
I think it's never been done on a rocket before!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise