Holes in the bottom of the top bottle in your rocket

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder

Holes in the bottom of the top bottle in your rocket

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* »

About 1 year ago i came up with an idea.
I thought it would be good to pearce some tiny holes in the top bottle in a spliced rocket.
Lets take a rocket wich is made of 6 bottles spliced together.
5 bottles without a bottom. And the last 6th bottle were you pearce some tiny holes in the bottom.
If you launch the rocket the air of the 5 bottles wil be go out much faster and sooner then the last bottle. Will it make sence that the air of the last bottle go out later. So you have a longer thrust phase. Will it give you a better altitude?
I'm not verry convinced about it.

I did this "test" with our black and white rocket:
its hard to see but at the left bottle there are 3 tiny holes in the bottom.
When i launched this rocket it did get a realy good altitude. But i never launched a 3 spliced rocket without the tiny holes so i dont know the differance.
Im asking this because i have a 5 bollte spliced rocket wich im going to upgrade to 6 bottles. Now is my question: shall i use this trick or not?
( sorry for my bad englisch )
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Holes in the bottom of the top bottle in your rocket

Post by Tim Chen »

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:About 1 year ago i came up with an idea.
I thought it would be good to pearce some tiny holes in the top bottle in a spliced rocket.
Lets take a rocket wich is made of 6 bottles spliced together.
5 bottles without a bottom. And the last 6th bottle were you pearce some tiny holes in the bottom.
If you launch the rocket the air of the 5 bottles wil be go out much faster and sooner then the last bottle. Will it make sence that the air of the last bottle go out later. So you have a longer thrust phase. Will it give you a better altitude?
I'm not verry convinced about it.

I did this "test" with our black and white rocket:
its hard to see but at the left bottle there are 3 tiny holes in the bottom.
When i launched this rocket it did get a realy good altitude. But i never launched a 3 spliced rocket without the tiny holes so i dont know the differance.
Im asking this because i have a 5 bollte spliced rocket wich im going to upgrade to 6 bottles. Now is my question: shall i use this trick or not?
( sorry for my bad englisch )
I would bet that the water leaves the rocket under pressure from the air above the water and the air coming from the tiny holes would just slowly leak out after the water was gone. This means you get no extra thrust from the air. Sorry to bear bad news, but I think it will not work.

I do think it might be useful if you were using foam inside the rocket. You gave me this idea: what if the air in the upper bottle is used to clean the foam residue from a foam rocket? I noticed this problem when I use foam, that some of the foam never comes out and makes the rocket heavy. The extra air could blow it out and get extra thrust plus reduce the weight!

Thanks for the tip!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise