My new 2 stage warocket

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
FalkE
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My new 2 stage warocket

Post by FalkE »

Here are some picture of my new 2 stage rocket. The picture and details of the stage mechanism are coming up in the next days...
It has a cameramodul with a box of styrodur ( protection).
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*
Current WRA2 Flight Duration World Record Holder

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* »

Looks like a verry heavy camera.
But the rocket looks nice!
What kind of bottles you are using? Are there still hard PET bottles in Germany? In the netherlands they are all gone. We now have that weak american like bottles. Olmost useless for waterrockets.
From what kind of material are your fins made?
FalkE
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by FalkE »

Jey, they 1,5l hard pet bottle ( fanta from the coca cola company).
The fins are made of balsa wood( 6mm).

The camera weights around 200g with the 3 batteries inside. Its not too much for the rocket( earlier my developsystems are much more heavy and the rockets go up to over 100m with it).
I´ve made 3 different staging mechanism and i will test them in smaller test rockets befor i use it in this one.
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

FalkE wrote:Jey, they 1,5l hard pet bottle ( fanta from the coca cola company).
The fins are made of balsa wood( 6mm).

The camera weights around 200g with the 3 batteries inside. Its not too much for the rocket( earlier my developsystems are much more heavy and the rockets go up to over 100m with it).
I´ve made 3 different staging mechanism and i will test them in smaller test rockets befor i use it in this one.
It's amazing how high these rockets can lift a heavy payload. You need to go to high power rated pyro engines to do what any kid can do with a soda bottle and bike pump! I just think that's way cool!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Daan.[D&P]Rockets* wrote:Looks like a verry heavy camera.
But the rocket looks nice!
What kind of bottles you are using? Are there still hard PET bottles in Germany? In the netherlands they are all gone. We now have that weak american like bottles. Olmost useless for waterrockets.
From what kind of material are your fins made?
Hi Daan,

A few questions:

Why did they stop making the strong bottles in the Netherlands?

What pressure did the thick bottles hold?

Is there a large difference?

Finally, are your thick bottles just thickere PET, or do they make them with several layers of very thin PET? In the U.S. we have some thick bottles, but the ones we have seen are multiple layers and not very good for Water Rockets because they tend to delaminate.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Daan.[D&P]Rockets*

Pet Bottles

Post by Daan.[D&P]Rockets* »

The bottles we had could hold 15 bar or 217 psi.
The weak bottles we now have sucks. They explode at 9 bar or so. And they are way to light. If you launch them they will tumble around in the air..
Me and Pleun are building a rocket made of 6 spliced hard pet bottles covered in carbon fibre. The rocket wil be able to wearstand pressures of 20-25 bar we hope. And then we will be able to get some realy high altitudes for PET bottles!
ChocolateFudgeCake
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: My new 2 stage warocket

Post by ChocolateFudgeCake »

Would you be so kind as to tell me how the staging mechanism works?
Regards,
ChocolateFudge