First Succesful 2-Stage Rocket

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: First Succesful 2-Stage Rocket

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

anoymous wrote:Maybe the us waterrocket LaunchPad alTImeter? it is an altimeter with auto apogee-detect and can release the parachute at that moment.
http://www.uswaterrockets.com/documents ... manual.htm
He would need to adapt the staging mechanism to work with an electric signal. The other possible problem is that the signal happens at apogee, and so the rocket is slowing down to zero upward velocity. With zero velocity, the rocket can start to tip over, so the staging may happen when the rocket is not pointing up anymore.

A better solution for staging is to use the ServoChron Servo Timer. You set it for a time delay after the launch. That would make it such that you can set off the next stage when the rocket was still moving.
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
anoymous wrote:Maybe the us waterrocket LaunchPad alTImeter? it is an altimeter with auto apogee-detect and can release the parachute at that moment.
http://www.uswaterrockets.com/documents ... manual.htm
He would need to adapt the staging mechanism to work with an electric signal. The other possible problem is that the signal happens at apogee, and so the rocket is slowing down to zero upward velocity. With zero velocity, the rocket can start to tip over, so the staging may happen when the rocket is not pointing up anymore.

A better solution for staging is to use the ServoChron Servo Timer. You set it for a time delay after the launch. That would make it such that you can set off the next stage when the rocket was still moving.
I meant for the last stage. I should have formulated it better. I also think it would be silly just to release the parachute and I think it's unnecessary to mesure the height of one stage.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:He would need to adapt the staging mechanism to work with an electric signal. The other possible problem is that the signal happens at apogee, and so the rocket is slowing down to zero upward velocity. With zero velocity, the rocket can start to tip over, so the staging may happen when the rocket is not pointing up anymore.

I wonder how difficult it would be to create another program that would detect the acceleration so that as soon as it starts to slow down it would trigger a servo. I can think of a lot of uses for something like that!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

I think it wil be as easy as the apogee detect.
Maybe you can even find a (similar) program, so you would only have to change a few things.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
beginingrocket
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by beginingrocket »

that is very nice I gave up on my 2 stage and switched to single