Your thoughts on TAPE

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Your thoughts on TAPE

Post by Tony »

Duct Tape or Electrical Tape?

I prefer the strength and smoothness of Electrical (or Vinyl) Tape over the rougher surface (and therefore higher air resistance) of Duct Tape. Strength seems comparable, neither strong enough to seal a splice, but I do not know how their weights differ.

Which is better? Which do you prefer?

Today I hit the store to buy more tape, and more PL Premium (I think I'll buy both t3x and 8x to compare) and some Sikaflex 11fc (if I can find it).... and other building supplies.
"Houston, we've had a problem..."
air.command

Re: Your thoughts on TAPE

Post by air.command »

We've always prefered electrical tape because it conforms itself nicely to the shape of what you are taping, and you can easily remove it without any residue. We always try to use white or light coloured tape because we found black tape can heat up enough in the sun to warp the bottles underneath it.

- George
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Good point about the heat with the black tape. With it being so cold here right now that is the last thing I am thinking about.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

The poly hockey shinguard/sock tape is some awesome stuff. It has the conformity of vinyl elec but sticks better, is stronger and still releases cleanly.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

isn't the texture on that tape rather rough? would the airflow as smoothly over that stuff as compared to the electrical tape
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:isn't the texture on that tape rather rough? would the airflow as smoothly over that stuff as compared to the electrical tape
No- this isn't the white handle tape or the black stick tape. It is poly tape- smooth like electrical, sticks to just about everything. Comes in all kinds of colors.

Currently I am using some to hold a fishing reel to an ice fishing pole handle.- to give you an idea, the tape has been on that pole for a year now and hasn't even started peeling back on the ends.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Looks like good stuff. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I noticed when looking at the differences in tapes that the Scotch brand electrical tapes are rated uv resistant. Whereas the tape for the shin guards does not mention it. With the issues that George brought up it may be beneficial to go with the Scotch brand electrical tape. Also the Scotch brand has like 35 colors too.

I still may try the shin tape just to see for myself. If it holds better it may be worth the lack of uv protection.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:I noticed when looking at the differences in tapes that the Scotch brand electrical tapes are rated uv resistant. Whereas the tape for the shin guards does not mention it. With the issues that George brought up it may be beneficial to go with the Scotch brand electrical tape. Also the Scotch brand has like 35 colors too.

I still may try the shin tape just to see for myself. If it holds better it may be worth the lack of uv protection.
Yeah I don't suppose UV is really a consideration for its intended use. It was designed to flex with the leg muscles but hold shin guards in place, while not being effected by water. Suppose you could wipe the entire rocket down with 303 if uv degradation is a concern. Hmm this warrants much testing!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Tony wrote:Duct Tape or Electrical Tape?

gets heavy fast.

Aluminum or strapping tape FTW.
Nick and Dad B.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I think I read that wra ruled aluminum duct tape did not conform to the safety rules. Vapor barrier tape has great adhesion but not as strong as strapping tape and it tends wrinkle.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

bugwubber wrote:I think I read that wra ruled aluminum duct tape did not conform to the safety rules. Vapor barrier tape has great adhesion but not as strong as strapping tape and it tends wrinkle.

If you are not in competition, you can use whatever you want. Aluminum tape is light and just plain works. It does not fragment, and is safe for reinforcement.

Enjoy the non-competition, yet safe designs, and enjoy the hobby more, stumble upon more innovation.
Nick and Dad B.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

If you are wrapping the tape around something, like connecting a fairing to a bottle, then vinyl tape like electrical tape is great because you can peel it off and take things apart when you need to. Avoid using it if you are trying to tape something like fins onto the rocket, because it peels off too easily. It's really meant to wrap around and stick to itself, not so much to tape things together.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Tony wrote:Duct Tape or Electrical Tape?

I prefer the strength and smoothness of Electrical (or Vinyl) Tape over the rougher surface (and therefore higher air resistance) of Duct Tape. Strength seems comparable, neither strong enough to seal a splice, but I do not know how their weights differ.

Which is better? Which do you prefer?

Today I hit the store to buy more tape, and more PL Premium (I think I'll buy both t3x and 8x to compare) and some Sikaflex 11fc (if I can find it).... and other building supplies.
beware of your tapes possible adhesive limitations and fin performance during launch.

Tape and adhesive can flex during launch at pressures beyond what they can handle. Depending on the tape type, adhesive, and your wrapping method, you can have your fins flex at the tape and put the rockets into a tumble. The pressures can impart considerable force at the tape and take minor lack of perpendicularity by a couple of degrees and multiply it into enough leverage to knock your fins over, temporarily or permanently. This may not be obvious during rocket inspection, post launch.
Rockets with larger fins are more susceptible.
Nick and Dad B.