Firsts

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Firsts

Post by Blenderite »

Strattocoaster wrote:I have not seen the mythbusters episode. I'll have to try and find that.
If you can find it, please share the link. I haven't seen the episode either.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

nunopt wrote:Finally I made my first launches. Windy days but it was great fun.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

That sandy beach looks very inviting! It must make a great launch site!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

DogLover wrote:
Strattocoaster wrote:I have not seen the mythbusters episode. I'll have to try and find that.

Look for Episode #42 "Steel Toe Amputation / Bottle Rocket Blast-Off".
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Wow both rocket and launcher turned out great! great job!

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
DogLover wrote:

Look for Episode #42 "Steel Toe Amputation / Bottle Rocket Blast-Off".
Yep it is in Season 4 Ep 3 (or #42). I watched it on Amazon Prime. Really tough to find older stuff on DSC website. Netflix didn't seem to have all of the years. Anything on youtube is likely fan loaded.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't think anyone can just load it onto Youtube because it's still copyrighted. Correct?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't think anyone can just load it onto Youtube because it's still copyrighted. Correct?
Part 1:

Part 2:
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
lowerstoford
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by lowerstoford »

Although it not technically our first, its the first video of our basic development booster.

This is a on-board video only and I have slowed it down far too much.

But this shows you how stable our design is, with no spin.

It also shows how rubbish our recovery system was on this rocket.
The give away is the upside down house at around 40 seconds.
Oh yeah and the crash at the end.

[youtube][/youtube]

LSD
LSD

Yes, I Am a Rocket Scientist.
ptx
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by ptx »

That sandy beach looks very inviting! It must make a great launch site!
Yes, also as it has no parachute at the sand the landing is a bit softer.
I already lost the counting of how many launches I made and it is still OK (the rocket small size 500cc also helps .. :D )
ptx
ptx
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by ptx »

bugwubber wrote:

Wow both rocket and launcher turned out great! great job!

Bugwubber
Thanks for the help and encouragement, I am already thinking on the 2nd rocket..
ptx
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

lowerstoford wrote:Although it not technically our first, its the first video of our basic development booster.

This is a on-board video only and I have slowed it down far too much.

But this shows you how stable our design is, with no spin.

It also shows how rubbish our recovery system was on this rocket.
The give away is the upside down house at around 40 seconds.
Oh yeah and the crash at the end.

[youtube][/youtube]

LSD
Good job!

My first recovery systems were foam rubber and spray foam. As the video at the top of this topic shows, the rocket flights tended to last 3 seconds and you have to freeze the frame to actually see anything.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote: My first recovery systems were foam rubber and spray foam. As the video at the top of this topic shows, the rocket flights tended to last 3 seconds and you have to freeze the frame to actually see anything.
Have you noticed that when you are launching and attract a crowd, that you can really make them excited by popping a chute? It's really satisfying the hear a cheer go up when the parachute deploys.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

bugwubber wrote: My first recovery systems were foam rubber and spray foam. As the video at the top of this topic shows, the rocket flights tended to last 3 seconds and you have to freeze the frame to actually see anything.
Have you noticed that when you are launching and attract a crowd, that you can really make them excited by popping a chute? It's really satisfying the hear a cheer go up when the parachute deploys.
Yes definitely a beautiful sight. But you have to balance that with shouts of oh chute! heads up! :-)

I mean that's what rockets do right? They come down with a parachute. If they don't, something went wrong and they are digging a hole. Then along comes Scaled Composites with their shuttlecock glider rocket and NASA with their airbags and rocket powered sky crane and SpaceX with their freaky backwards landing Grasshopper. What's a hobbyist to do? :-)

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

So another first of sorts for me...

This past Tuesday I took the rocket Charlie Laser Pears to a company BBQ picnic at a local park. It was more that it was just in the back but it was with me. I should mention at this point that I just changed jobs at my company and I was going to this BBQ to meet my boss's boss for the first time. So everyone there I've never met before. As the Sun began to set and the conversation died down. I thought, now would be a perfect time to launch a water rocket. So I announced to my table, it was time to launch a rocket and went back to my car. I loaded the rocket on my mini launcher at the car and pressurized it to about 70psi. Then I took the loaded launcher and rocket back to the pavillion we were eating at and set it up in a grassy spot nearby. At this point, my coworkers and afore mentioned boss's boss are wondering aloud if the thing is loaded with kerosene or something. They didn't see it get pressurized so I guess its fair that they were wondering how it was powered. Of course it doesn't help when I walk up to the rocket and pour water in the top ballast bottle. I pause for a prelaunch picture from the girl who organized the event and then let it fly. I didn't realize it but I had quickly grabbed the attention of everyone in our area of the park. As the rocket reached apogee many started clapping and cheering. Charlie Laser Pears performed flawlessly, dumping its ballast water and falling sideways. Wish I had thought to bring the camera along. If the event organizer posts the photo, I'll upload it here.

So there it is, first impressions at the company BBQ and my first launch in a public park.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.