Fins Assy

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Fins Assy

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Muzza wrote:I have had some success with hotmelt glue for fins by sticking a strip of 3M micropore tape to the bottle and glueing to that. Still often lose fins on ballistic returns, but never lost fins on takeoff.
Came up with the technique when I had to do a "make and fly" session with the local cub scouts. Only had an hour to work with so any wait for glue to cure ideas were out.
Still use PL Premium (actually Liquid Nails Platinum Construction Adhesive, as it's called in these parts) for fins on 'proper' rockets
Does the micropore tape help at all with the gluing with PL? It seems like a pretty good idea.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Muzza
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Fins Assy

Post by Muzza »

I don't think Micropore would help when gluing fins on with PLP, I just added it when using hotmelt as a couple of trial rockets using straight hotmelt tended to shed fins on takeoff. My guess was the glue was too rigid and with the slight change in size of the bottle during pressureization was rupturing the joint. To give the glue something to bite into I tried the tape.
During crashes fins still come off, but when they do, its tearing the strip of tape away with the glue, so the tape is the weakpoint. Changing the glue won't change the weakpoint. Maybe a stronger fabric tape could be the go, might be worth looking into. I was just working with what I had
M