T12 FTCs

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Nick B
Internet Troll

T12 FTCs

Post by Nick B »

just a thought....

stores prolly wont be carrying these things much longer. T12's use way more energy than new T8s and factories are ditching them or using halides for new build. :cry:

Just sayin....
Nick and Dad B.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: T12 FTCs

Post by Blenderite »

I hope that you are 100% wrong. No offence :)

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I believe manufacturing on all 4fts and most 8ft T12 was supposed to have stopped last July. Some T8s were chopped as well.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I believe I am going to pick some up then. And quick!

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Trailblazer

Post by Trailblazer »

Nick B wrote:just a thought....

stores prolly wont be carrying these things much longer. T12's use way more energy than new T8s and factories are ditching them or using halides for new build. :cry:

Just sayin....
Well here we go again. The government knows best :fart:

Notice how it is kept quiet until it is too late for citizens to do anything about it (or even stock up on bulbs). Bad enough that they would ban production of the ballasts and fixtures but apparently that isn't fast enough or generating enough profit for the "green companies" who donate to the politicians, they ban the bulbs too which means that if your bulb burns out you need a whole new fixture or at the very least an expensive retrofit. Then guess what happens when everyone shells out the cash (which you will never be able to recoup) and energy usage drops across the country, the power companies raise their rates to make sure that the same profit was made as when people were using more.

Remember this slogan:
Green products = "works 1/2 as good" + "lasts 1/2 as long" + "costs 3 times as much" PU:
Don't tread on me!
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Don't get me started about the government...

-DogLover
-Blenderite

bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

DogLover wrote:Don't get me started about the government...

-DogLover

Wha...hey I just got the popcorn!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Trailblazer wrote:
Well here we go again. The government knows best :fart:

Notice how it is kept quiet until it is too late for citizens to do anything about it (or even stock up on bulbs). Bad enough that they would ban production of the ballasts and fixtures but apparently that isn't fast enough or generating enough profit for the "green companies" who donate to the politicians, they ban the bulbs too which means that if your bulb burns out you need a whole new fixture or at the very least an expensive retrofit. Then guess what happens when everyone shells out the cash (which you will never be able to recoup) and energy usage drops across the country, the power companies raise their rates to make sure that the same profit was made as when people were using more.

Remember this slogan:
Green products = "works 1/2 as good" + "lasts 1/2 as long" + "costs 3 times as much" PU:

mmmmmmmm well................. it started in 2006............

soooooooooooooooooooooo...........
Nick and Dad B.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Alright I'll change the direction a bit... Tonight I was checking out the 8ft t8 covers at HD. They did not specifically say they were polycarbonate and seemed kinda thin. Is there a preferred brand to trust? You guys currently using them, do they usually specify polycarbonate on the label?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:Alright I'll change the direction a bit... Tonight I was checking out the 8ft t8 covers at HD. They did not specifically say they were polycarbonate and seemed kinda thin. Is there a preferred brand to trust? You guys currently using them, do they usually specify polycarbonate on the label?
This news really sucks. We have a pretty good stockpile of FTCs, but we certainly will be buying some more in light of this news. The FTC tubes will likely be getting hard to find in the future.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

bugwubber wrote:Alright I'll change the direction a bit... Tonight I was checking out the 8ft t8 covers at HD. They did not specifically say they were polycarbonate and seemed kinda thin. Is there a preferred brand to trust? You guys currently using them, do they usually specify polycarbonate on the label?

the 8 foot T12s always seen thin to me, everywhere, but the T8s seem normal to me. I hope the T8s stick around, since I use them most often and enjoy their scale and ease of construction. Most of my fleet are T8s

Losing the T12s will be tragic, since most viable single stage records attempts would need the capacity of the T12s.

There are a lot of newer t8 conversions and commercial and residential use for them, so I would expect them to be around longer.
Nick and Dad B.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Sorry, it was late and I misspoke- I meant to say I was checking out the 8ft T12 covers. I did not see any T8 covers nor any 4ft T12 covers. HD's lightbulb supply also still seemed majority stocked with T12.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

bugwubber wrote:
Sorry, it was late and I misspoke- I meant to say I was checking out the 8ft T12 covers. I did not see any T8 covers nor any 4ft T12 covers. HD's lightbulb supply also still seemed majority stocked with T12.

I have never compared the wall thickness to the t8s nor have I ever used a T12, bare to confirm burst pressures without wrapping.

USWR would have a better data base for older and ytd testing, changes and specs.
Nick and Dad B.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I crashed an 8 foot T12 yesterday and it crushed horribly. Got home and noticed that the bulkhead had no cracks so I filled it with air and it straightened out and held air. I was surprised. This is an FTC from Westinghouse. Not sure of the wall thickness but I would imagine it is the same everywhere.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Asupremeflight wrote:I crashed an 8 foot T12 yesterday and it crushed horribly. Got home and noticed that the bulkhead had no cracks so I filled it with air and it straightened out and held air. I was surprised. This is an FTC from Westinghouse. Not sure of the wall thickness but I would imagine it is the same everywhere.

yeah,

Ya gotta set them up to backglide or have a good chute system.

most people here are using 2 liters cauze they can slam them into the ground and just replace the damaged bottles. When you want to go single stage and high, you need a serious recovery system, and near zero wind speed. They will only take a couple crashes before they fail to hold pressure or are too deformed to launch. Mine are Lithonia and hold 220 psi wrapped, easily. My biggest problem with these is they drift too far away during recovery.
Nick and Dad B.