Pop-Up Sprinkler Heads - A new use!!

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Pop-Up Sprinkler Heads - A new use!!

Post by Tony »

I recently discovered that the nozzle tubes (or whatever they are called) from pop-up sprinklers fit perfectly in to the neck of our bottles. I found a few in the field behind my house, but they're not very expensive at Lowe's, or Home Depot, or wherever you find Irrigation hardware. They also come with a great spring that I am hoping to use on a Gardena style 2-Stage Mechanism in the future. The sprinklers come in several lengths, so you can get them with loooong springs or short springs (but not as short as the spring in a Gardena Connector). While my pictures show a medium length pop-up tube, I like the look of the longer ones which I will be moving to exclusively as I rebuild crashed rockets (and the added weight is minimal).
Disassembled Pop-Up Sprinkler Head
Disassembled Pop-Up Sprinkler Head
100_6690.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 112 times
Since then I have been putting one inside each of my rockets. I wrap a little vinyl tape near the top to create a more complete seal, and to lessen the force of impact as the accelerating rocket smashes into the motionless "Thrust Capacitor" (as I have named it) with several G's. My first few tests actually blew the whole bottle neck out, but it made for some spectacular failures. (If you think the 22mm opening gives a lot of thrust, you should see what an opening the size of the entire bottle does! :yikes: )

This, so far, has solved that problem.
The "Thrust Capacitor"
The "Thrust Capacitor"
100_6683.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 112 times
The sprayer ends unscrew making it easy to exchange them with other sprayer ends, allowing me to test different sized nozzles on one rocket (thus removing almost every other variable). I had to seal the sprayer end with PL to prevent them from spraying out the side and causing the rocket to spin out of control, but after the first few learning experiences it seems to be working fine. Using the tube itself reduces my nozzle size from standard bottle (22mm) down to approximately 12mm, and that seems to work really well on my 17.2 ounce "Cascade Ice/Sparkling Ice" bottle rockets. WH:
Just a few rockets, ready to GO!!
Just a few rockets, ready to GO!!
100_6687.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 112 times
I have made 5 spray nozzles with nozzle openings of 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2 inch (I don't have a metric drill set, but you can Google the conversions). :undecided:
"Thrust Capacitor" with changeable nozzles
"Thrust Capacitor" with changeable nozzles
100_6682.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 112 times
What I thought would be my biggest problem is that, using the zip-tie style release mechanism, the nozzle tube would need to sit atop the launch tube. Without a sprayer end attached, the threads of the tube fit perfectly inside the 1/2" PVC launch tube. When I pressurized, even slowly, I regularly knocked the Thrust Capacitor off the launch tube. This caused my invention to just sit somewhere inside the rocket, and with the larger bottles I worried it wouldn't work. However, after my first launch, I found this was not a problem. The draining water and air pressure forces the Thrust Capacitor out the bottle, instantly decreasing nozzle size. I think this works FANTASTIC :saber: . What I call "Pre-Launch Liftoff" (the short time after release but before the rocket actually leaves the launch tube) lift force is full bore 22mm bottle nozzle, but immediately after leaving the tube you can hear the sound of the thrust change pitch as the Thrust Capacitor falls into place. RAT:
"Thrust Capacitor" atop fill tube of Launch Cube. Rocket not fully seated to allow a window view inside.
"Thrust Capacitor" atop fill tube of Launch Cube. Rocket not fully seated to allow a window view inside.
100_6684.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 112 times
I look forward to seeing which size works best for the different sized rockets... but sadly, rain is expected here all week, so it will just have to wait. :BD:
"Houston, we've had a problem..."
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Pop-Up Sprinkler Heads - A new use!!

Post by Tony »

I suppose I should shrink my photos before I upload them. Sorry for the ridiculously large images.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

That is a very interesting concept. I am interested in seeing what happens!!! Keep us posted!

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

A short break in the bad weather allowed me time to launch a few rockets today.

[youtube][/youtube]

Check out the other uploads on my youtube channel to see some of my rockets.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Have you been able to tell have far back in time..er I mean how much higher the rockets travel with the thrust capacitors? That's a really cool idea.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

I did not use the altimeter for these tests, but I will soon.

My goal is 1988...err, 600+ feet (to beat my personal record altitude of 595 feet). I've had a few go higher, but didn't have the altimeter so I can't call it "Official."

I did learn to not wedge the thrust capacitor into the launch tube... the shock of impact to pull it out blew the bottom out of one of my rockets. I'll make that video a little later today (first, more coffee and some breakfast). Instead it needs to balance precariously until I figure out another way that doesn't lodge the TC between the launch tube and the rocket wall. It's not a problem with larger diameter rockets, but it seems to jamb the skinny rockets just enough to cause it to spiral on launch. I also forgot to bring my variable sized screw on nozzles, DOH!
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

Failure is always an option:
[youtube][/youtube]
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Tony wrote:Failure is always an option:
[youtube][/youtube]
Man, I HATE it when that happens! :)
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Very interesting. I would like to know what percentage increase there is in altitude with that!

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

Once I get done "testing" (aka, flying just for the fun of it) I'll attach the altimeter and get some real numbers, but the change is noticeable from the ground.

On a separate note, the SCUBA tank I have been using is down to 1500psi. I figure that'll last me another few weeks (if the good weather holds). Money is tight right now, so I didn't want to spend any on getting the hydrostatic and visual tests done so it can be refilled... so I checked my other tank, the one I was certain was empty, and found it is FULL (3000psi). WOOHOO! That'll get me through the summer!
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Hi Tony,

These kind of nozzles are also known as "T-Nozzles" there have been some guys who used them back in the 90's.
Paul Grosse has some info on his site http://www.paul.grosse.is-a-geek.com/h2 ... rindex.htm (about halfway down the page)
There's a comparison between: Full bore nozzle, Restricted nozzle, Launch tube only and Launch tube with T-nozzle, seems there's a big difference in altitude when using a T-Nozzle and these where only tested at 5 bar (72.5 psi). It would be interesting to see what the benefit will be at higher pressures.
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

I built a rickety gantry to try to run some test, it ended up being a total failure...

[youtube][/youtube]

Arjan, thanks for the link. I'll look into it!!
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

arjan wrote:Hi Tony,

These kind of nozzles are also known as "T-Nozzles" there have been some guys who used them back in the 90's.
Paul Grosse has some info on his site http://www.paul.grosse.is-a-geek.com/h2 ... rindex.htm (about halfway down the page)
There's a comparison between: Full bore nozzle, Restricted nozzle, Launch tube only and Launch tube with T-nozzle, seems there's a big difference in altitude when using a T-Nozzle and these where only tested at 5 bar (72.5 psi). It would be interesting to see what the benefit will be at higher pressures.

I still use tee nozzles on some rockets. They are not a simple, full time gain for all applications. Depending on their added weight and functionality, they can be a detriment without proper pressure design or function.
Nick and Dad B.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

What exactly where you trying to do with the gantry?
-Blenderite

bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

So can you reduce the nozzle's mass by shortening the pipe? Maybe try coating the underside with silicone to soften the blow.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.