Question on Nozzles

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Question on Nozzles

Post by Flash »

Which nozzle works best with most single stage water bottle rockets at 100 psi range the gardena or 22mm bottle opening?

Since 22mm normally has a launch tube inside the bottle, is it best to use a rod of some type with gardena rockets to help them out some the first foot or so?

Thank you!
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Question on Nozzles

Post by bugwubber »

Without a guide, you'll need larger fins which will earn you less height.

The larger issue is, much easier for a rocket to go horizontal
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Flash,

I made the mistake of starting off with a restricted nozzle and I had huge problems with leaks and horizontal flights. I highly recommend that you start with full bore, it is so much easier first off.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Flash wrote: is it best to use a rod of some type with gardena rockets to help them out some the first foot or so?
more like, a five or six foot rod.....lol
Nick and Dad B.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Flash wrote:Which nozzle works best with most single stage water bottle rockets at 100 psi range the gardena or 22mm bottle opening?

Since 22mm normally has a launch tube inside the bottle, is it best to use a rod of some type with gardena rockets to help them out some the first foot or so?

Thank you!
Flash

The smaller nozzles fly a lot slower, so it makes it much harder for the rocket to fly straight at the start of the flight. Also, a low speed launch is harder to detect with g-switches and electronics, so you would have a harder time using any electronic parachute systems started by a launch detect circuit. You would need to have an external switch or wire-break setup to start the deploy system.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

They should have a world record class for slowest possible gardena nozzle launches that stay vertical. :dielaugh:
Nick and Dad B.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Nick B wrote:They should have a world record class for slowest possible gardena nozzle launches that stay vertical. :dielaugh:
Might need a gyro instead of fins.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Flash »

I also noticed that Antigravity rockets us very small nozzles on their rockets and also us a guide rod to help keep them straight due to this. I will be working with their product some too.

Thanks,
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry