Soda Bottle limits on PSI

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Flash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Soda Bottle limits on PSI

Post by Flash »

What is the best cut off psi for non-reinforced 2 liter bottles?

What is needed to work safely at 120 psi?

Thanks
Flash
Flash
TRA L2 10484
Age 55
46 years with Rocketry
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Soda Bottle limits on PSI

Post by Tony »

I use non-reinforced bottles all the time, and I typically pressurize them between 115 and 130 psi. Only ones I have ever had blow up on me failed at the splice. It was never a bottle failure, just an adhesive failure. The best safety measure is to pressurize from a safe distance.
"Houston, we've had a problem..."
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I think the industry standard test is 120 min burst psi but I'm no expert in this area. On new bottles with no scratches. At 120 psi, non-reinforced, the safest/easiest is just to maintain a 50ft distance, That means yes, everyone you see standing next to the rocket using only the length of foot pump hose for distance is doing it wrong. There are videos out there that capture the consequences of doing that.
In my yard, I keep my test launches at 50-70psi max since I'm not testing for maximum height and can only get 20ft or so away.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

This is another great purchase I made for safety sake. Only I got the 1/4 inch http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-x-38 ... 69711.html
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Asupremeflight wrote:This is another great purchase I made for safety sake. Only I got the 1/4 inch http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-x-38 ... 69711.html
So does that stay flexible in cold weather? The PVC airhose that I have gets quite difficult in cool weather.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

safe bottom limit, 110 psi........ imho
Nick and Dad B.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Flash wrote:What is the best cut off psi for non-reinforced 2 liter bottles?

What is needed to work safely at 120 psi?

Thanks
Flash

120 psi is not much to worry about unless you are very close to the rocket and launcher during the explosion without eye and ear protection. The rocket pieces may only fly a foot, or they may fly 20 feet, but they do not have much force behind them. You also need to be concerned with launcher pvc if used, since they can also get damaged from the concussion. So, you are talking about pvc pipes rated for 600 psi that can fracture from sudden dynamic pressures. You would prolly be very safe with eye and ear protection, 3 feet from a bursting/exploding 2 litre at 120 psi, but you will feel a shock wave, and you will get wet.
Nick and Dad B.