Yikes... Sparkling Ice 17oz bottle, 220 psi...

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Re: Yikes... Sparkling Ice 17oz bottle, 220 psi...

Post by Nick B »

An unfortunate change in plans.

Due to.......

2.........members...... That feel the need to see some sort of pics or video for evidence that the said bottle did indeed reach 220 psi....

we are tooling up another 17 ounce to provide pics.

Bear in mind that the main purpose of this thread was to define that this was a simple, uncomplicated process that anybody could apply without advanced building processes or materials.....with two bottles and a pair of scissors.....that anybody could apply to boost their pressures, and enjoy a happy communal higher pressure world together.
Nick and Dad B.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I really look forward to seeing this. Here's my daughter's rocket from our first summer making water rockets. We sleeved it mainly to reuse the fins from a bottle that had been damaged. Cause there's probably $2 of glue on those fins! I found a piece of foam rubber and a tennis ball or racquetball on top made a great lawn dart nosecone. We didn't exceed 60psi with those rockets because at the time, my release was my hand!
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 18 times
Thanks,

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Our floor pump operator had difficulty with our current high humidity and 90 plus temps for these photos.

This is the second 17 ounce rocket. Some slight changes to this rocket. We used plp to add an additional penticlaw cap to reinforce the lobes. We skipped the nose cone and added some minimal duct tape around the base with a dab of hot melt in the penticlaw grooves to smooth it out. This reduced the total weight of the rocket, yet still kept enough weight in the nose area. And we painted it black so we could see it better at apogee. It is missing a fin or two from some landings through tree branches.

Although we mostly used our tripod launcher, we switched to the old PVC launcher, since it's the only one we have with a gauge installed, besides our 1000 psi launcher, and switched the launch tube over to the PVC launcher, since it's the only short launch tube we currently have. In the pics, especially the up close one of the rocket, it is under the pressure observed without the retention collar. This is a swelled tube that will hold up to 280 psi with no retention ties if needed.
Attachments
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG (139.27 KiB) Viewed 12 times
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG (90.33 KiB) Viewed 12 times
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG (151.24 KiB) Viewed 12 times
Nick and Dad B.