Confused about splice methods.

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Confused about splice methods.

Post by Strattocoaster »

So I've been studying on splicing and cant decide on which method to go with. So which is best? The WRA2 simple shrink fit, the aircommand method which looks to me like the same as the WRA2 but with extra layer wraped and glued or the Batkiter stretched sleeve?
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Confused about splice methods.

Post by WRA2 »

Strattocoaster wrote:So I've been studying on splicing and cant decide on which method to go with. So which is best? The WRA2 simple shrink fit, the aircommand method which looks to me like the same as the WRA2 but with extra layer wraped and glued or the Batkiter stretched sleeve?
I am not sure whose method you are calling the "WRA2" method. SC: (the WRA2 does not have their "own" style of splicing) You must be referring to one of the several methods that the teams described on the forum over the years. Can you be more specific?
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Strattocoaster »

U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Strattocoaster wrote:I was referring to this: http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm
That tutorial is from our team website, if you saw it somewhere else with incorrect attribution, please notify the publisher that they are in error. All of our tutorials are freely distributed under creative commons attribution licensing, so they should have the source properly credited.

As you can probably tell, our splice requires a bit more care to assemble properly, but the end result is much stronger and neater than the methods handed down over the past few decades you've probably learned in grade school. You need to take more care to get the tolerances of the joints more accurate, but the weight savings and added strength can really pay off, not to mention the virtual elimination of leakage.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Strattocoaster »

Sorry, i'm new. I thought WRA2 and U.S. Water Rockets were somewhat one in the same.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Strattocoaster wrote:Sorry, i'm new. I thought WRA2 and U.S. Water Rockets were somewhat one in the same.
Hi,

SC: Who or what lead you to that conclusion? SC:
Lisa Walker,
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Strattocoaster »

Who knows? Sorry for the mixup.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Strattocoaster wrote:Who knows? Sorry for the mixup.
US Water Rockets was one of the founding teams when we first formed over 10 years ago. They also used their status as world record holders to promote the WRA2. :WRA2:

There were a few individuals in the past who wanted to compete for the record but did not want to compete under the rules who tried to spread that rumor in an attempt to discredit the association. At least one of them still lurks here on the forum. :BD: When I saw your post the other day, I thought that maybe one of them was trying to start those rumors again. RAT:
Lisa Walker,
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Wow... this iis a blast from the past!

We had a lot of trouble about 8-9 years ago with some guys who were pissed off that some people got together and established record rules. These guys were at the time competing for the current record. Most were building rockets that were clearly not compliant with any common sense rules. There were CO2 phase change propulsion, metal nozzles, pyro deploy, spring launcher assist, etc.

Eventually, one of them admitted that rockets being compliant with rules was making them feel threatened, because they were dumbfounded how it was possible. They lashed out and tried to smear our team and the rules with crackpot conspiracy theories.

That was many years ago, and things have been quiet. The detractors either realized how silly they were being, or they retired. It's good to know that this is just a misunderstanding, and not a flare-up from those days.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Can I join in here? :mrgreen:
Nick and Dad B.