Goo Gone for splice prep?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Goo Gone for splice prep?

Post by Strattocoaster »

How would Goo Gone work for cleaning the area to be glued? I am trying it tonight and will see how it turns out.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Goo Gone for splice prep?

Post by bugwubber »

Strattocoaster wrote:How would Goo Gone work for cleaning the area to be glued? I am trying it tonight and will see how it turns out.
Isn't goo gone an oil based solvent? You'd need to clean it off as well before applying glue.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Strattocoaster »

That sucks. I should have read the label. I used the goo gone to clean sharpie marks off and it evaporated so fast i assumed it was alcohol based and would be suitable. Looks like maybe some methyl ethyl keytone would be better. Live and learn.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Strattocoaster wrote:That sucks. I should have read the label. I used the goo gone to clean sharpie marks off and it evaporated so fast i assumed it was alcohol based and would be suitable. Looks like maybe some methyl ethyl keytone would be better. Live and learn.
Didn't someone say that was bad because it made the plastic bottles weak (the keytone, not googone)?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Strattocoaster
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Strattocoaster »

I couldn't find any real MEK so I bought some acetone. That should work. Shouldn't it? :undecided:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

You can use oil based solvents as long as you can wash it off with a soap that removes oil and grease. Problem solved!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison