My Most Recent Project

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

My Most Recent Project

Post by Blenderite »

I have been kinda quiet for a while. I have been working on a special project, one I have been wanting to do for a long time. While it is not quite finished, I think I can share a photo and some information about it.
IMG_0789[1].JPG
IMG_0789[1].JPG (3.78 MiB) Viewed 127 times
For those of you from Pluto, or some country outside of the US that has never been interested in the US space program, that is a 1:48th scale model of a Space Shuttle, Endeavor to be specific.

It was made out of 3 sheets of Dollar Tree Foam Board, hot glue, Elmer's glue, and paper. I am still working on putting in the electronics. It will have a 2 1.5 liter bottles inside, spliced of course. The graphics I got from here: http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com

I have done a little glide test and it works great. Got a 25' glide from a little toss. I am very happy with that.

I have to order a new receiver and then I can finish with all the electronics.

At some point, I hope to eventually have a mock fuel tank and functional boosters.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: My Most Recent Project

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DogLover wrote:I have been kinda quiet for a while. I have been working on a special project, one I have been wanting to do for a long time. While it is not quite finished, I think I can share a photo and some information about it.
IMG_0789[1].JPG
For those of you from Pluto, or some country outside of the US that has never been interested in the US space program, that is a 1:48th scale model of a Space Shuttle, Endeavor to be specific.

It was made out of 3 sheets of Dollar Tree Foam Board, hot glue, Elmer's glue, and paper. I am still working on putting in the electronics. It will have a 2 1.5 liter bottles inside, spliced of course. The graphics I got from here: http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com

I have done a little glide test and it works great. Got a 25' glide from a little toss. I am very happy with that.

At some point, I hope to eventually have a mock fuel tank and functional boosters.

WOW! That's really nice looking. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

I am curious how you developed the shape and how you covered the skin. It looks like you made cross sections and then paper covered it, but that's just a guess. I hope you will do a build log of the project.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

The link I supplied in the first post was to a site that has free paper models available to be printed and assembled. I simply printed out the parts at regular size. Cut them out and then made copies at 300%. Obviously I had to cut some so that they would fit a 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. Then I cut those out and traced them onto the foam board. I then cut out the foam and assembled it, making a few slight modifications. My brother then gave me the idea of gluing the patterns to the foam to produce a realistic look.

I just ordered the new receiver last night from Hobby King. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the month. Right now I am working on the control surfaces.

I also need to figure out a design for a good internal grip launcher, as not enough if the bottle is sticking out to use a Clark's Cable Tie system. Any ideas are appreciated. Drawings and even better.

I will update as things progress.
-Blenderite

bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I've been trying out a new product- Rustoleum Never Wet. Stuff is freaky with the way it repels water. Might make a good seal coat for your paper model which looks excellent by the way!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

that foamboard is great for making slope soaring planes.
Nick and Dad B.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:I've been trying out a new product- Rustoleum Never Wet. Stuff is freaky with the way it repels water. Might make a good seal coat for your paper model which looks excellent by the way!
We've been using it since before it arrived in stores. It's pretty amazing stuff. We've been updating our box fins design to use regular cardboard. It doesn't get wet even when it falls in the lake. You can pretty much get rid of all the heavy corriflute, if you use this stuff. It's eerie how well it repels water. We've also been using it to protect our electronics, since this has always been an issue for us because we land our rockets in the water. Most people don't have to waterproof their electronics and cameras, so this use of the stuff may not be of much interest to any other teams. It does work well for this but it does cause problems for electrical connectors like the SD card connector and USB ports. So you have to be very careful not to gum things up with it.
Attachments
Never Wet really works
Never Wet really works
neverwet.jpg (346.62 KiB) Viewed 87 times
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
ptx
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by ptx »

DogLover wrote:I have been kinda quiet for a while. I have been working on a special project, one I have been wanting to do for a long time. While it is not quite finished, I think I can share a photo and some information about it.

IMG_0789[1].JPG

Hi DL,
from someone almost from Pluto this looks a great project. Very nice!
Will the flaps be moveable?
ptx
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

nunopt wrote:
Hi DL,
from someone almost from Pluto this looks a great project. Very nice!
Will the flaps be moveable?
It has elevons, which is a mix of ailerons and elevators. No flaps.
-Blenderite

rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

Excellent project! This build was one of the motivators to build mine (however I had forgotten where I'd seen it.) A guy in one of my clubs has converted a Guillows Shuttle, like the one I'm using, for RC flight. I'm RC illiterate so I'll settle for a simple glider :)
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

I hope we see more of this project in the future. There are a lot of things going on in rocketry in general these days that could be applied to water rockets. There are so many people involved in this hobby that are eager to learn from these kinds of experiments. Most of the stuff online is older designs and could use some new innovative people to stir things up.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison