NB Water Rockets blog

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

NB Water Rockets blog

Post by arjan »

Launched the fiberglass rocket again. This time it didn't go so well, just after burnout the nose cone separated from the rocket and pulled the parachute out of the payload bay. When the parachute opened the shock cord broke and the rocket was doomed to crash.
I can't exactly tell why the nose cone separated, probably the collar was to small and the fit just wasn't tight enough.

read more: http://n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.nl/
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: NB Water Rockets blog

Post by bugwubber »

arjan wrote:Launched the fiberglass rocket again. This time it didn't go so well, just after burnout the nose cone separated from the rocket and pulled the parachute out of the payload bay. When the parachute opened the shock cord broke and the rocket was doomed to crash.
I can't exactly tell why the nose cone separated, probably the collar was to small and the fit just wasn't tight enough.

Ouch! Is it a complete loss or just the payload section damaged?

For the couple of parachutes that I've tried out, I added a 1 foot section of of elastic cord from my tent pole repair kit. I've had the parachute pop out immediately after launch (full bore nozzle at that) and didn't even tear the trash bag parachute using that elastic cord.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

bugwubber wrote:
arjan wrote:Launched the fiberglass rocket again. This time it didn't go so well, just after burnout the nose cone separated from the rocket and pulled the parachute out of the payload bay. When the parachute opened the shock cord broke and the rocket was doomed to crash.

For the couple of parachutes that I've tried out, I added a 1 foot section of of elastic cord from my tent pole repair kit. I've had the parachute pop out immediately after launch (full bore nozzle at that) and didn't even tear the trash bag parachute using that elastic cord.

Bugwubber
Hi Bugwubber,

It's probably only the payload section that was completely lost, the pressure vessel seems OK but I need to do a hydrostatic test on that.

I'm not sure what kind of elastic cord you mean but I think I used the same cord in this rocket, could be that the elastic cord was just dried out.
Arjan

bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

arjan wrote:
bugwubber wrote:

Bugwubber
Hi Bugwubber,

It's probably only the payload section that was completely lost, the pressure vessel seems OK but I need to do a hydrostatic test on that.

I'm not sure what kind of elastic cord you mean but I think I used the same cord in this rocket, could be that the elastic cord was just dried out.
Something like this...
http://sgtknots.com/tent_pole_replaceme ... Qgod8zMAnQ Might be overkill but it takes a ton of abuse.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Yes , that looks exactly like the stuff I've used.
It was indeed very strong but it has been over 6 months when I last checked the strength. I have some more of this elastic cord, going to do a strength test on it.
Arjan

U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

arjan wrote:Yes , that looks exactly like the stuff I've used.
It was indeed very strong but it has been over 6 months when I last checked the strength. I have some more of this elastic cord, going to do a strength test on it.
They sell a similar product at Lowes and they call it "Parachute Cord". You can buy it by the foot by cutting from the roll, or you can also find a small pre packaged length of it on the shelves. It does look like overkill, but it does have a very professional look to it.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison