Modular rocket test launch

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Modular rocket test launch

Post by bugwubber »

Did a test launch of a modular rocket the other evening.
The configuration was 7l total. 2 2l and 2 1.5l all joined with 1/2"cpvc couplers. Attached USWR box fins with VHB double sided tape.

I set the pressure at only 35psi for this test as I wanted to validate whether NBR (falling with style) recovery would work for a larger rocket.

The result was a bit unexpected- what looks like close to 100ft apogee on 35psi. Luckily was able to get it off my neighbor's roof.

The NBR recovery seems to be working so next step is to add the altimeter.

[youtube][/youtube]
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Modular rocket test launch

Post by bugwubber »

᤾Guess I should run the simulator first next time. Forgot about this link. http://polyplex.org/rockets/simulation/
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Great launch! Was this your biggest rocket to date? I can't wait to see the rocket fly at full pressure. Do you have a problem with small couplings and a large nozzle?
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
ptx
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by ptx »

bugwubber wrote:Did a test launch of a modular rocket the other evening.
The configuration was 7l total. 2 2l and 2 1.5l all joined with 1/2"cpvc couplers. Attached USWR box fins with VHB double sided tape.

I set the pressure at only 35psi for this test as I wanted to validate whether NBR (falling with style) recovery would work for a larger rocket.

The result was a bit unexpected- what looks like close to 100ft apogee on 35psi. Luckily was able to get it off my neighbor's roof.

Nice night launch. Looking forward to see it at daylight.
ptx
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

That video turned out pretty well for such a low light launch! Looks like it was really be spectacular at full pressure!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Reptiglorandrockets wrote:Great launch! Was this your biggest rocket to date? I can't wait to see the rocket fly at full pressure. Do you have a problem with small couplings and a large nozzle?
Thanks. I suppose Something Wicked was the largest for me. 16l, double nozzle rocket ski.

I think what hindered performance on Something Wicked was 1. use of bottom to bottom couplings and 2. the use of lamp rods for all the couplings including the lower ones that water had to pass through.

1/2" CPVC has an internal diameter of .602" or just over 15mm. I'm guessing that lamp rod has an internal diameter of 7.5mm.

So I'm just thinking that if I fill water above the first coupling- say 3 liters, that the rocket may get a bit of a "ramp up" effect to full thrust. That said, 15mm is more than adequate so it should still be a fast launch.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

bugwubber wrote:
Reptiglorandrockets wrote:Great launch! Was this your biggest rocket to date? I can't wait to see the rocket fly at full pressure. Do you have a problem with small couplings and a large nozzle?
Thanks. I suppose Something Wicked was the largest for me. 16l, double nozzle rocket ski.

I think what hindered performance on Something Wicked was 1. use of bottom to bottom couplings and 2. the use of lamp rods for all the couplings including the lower ones that water had to pass through.

1/2" CPVC has an internal diameter of .602" or just over 15mm. I'm guessing that lamp rod has an internal diameter of 7.5mm.

So I'm just thinking that if I fill water above the first coupling- say 3 liters, that the rocket may get a bit of a "ramp up" effect to full thrust. That said, 15mm is more than adequate so it should still be a fast launch.

Bugwubber
Actual measurements are 12mm id for CPVC and 7mm for lamp rod.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

nunopt wrote:
bugwubber wrote:Did a test launch of a modular rocket the other evening.

Nice night launch. Looking forward to see it at daylight.

Thnanks! Unfortunately it turned out to be really windy Sunday so no launches this weekend.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I would like to know how you made CPVC couplings to connect the bottles.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

DogLover wrote:I would like to know how you made CPVC couplings to connect the bottles.
Here's a crude drawing of it. It is essentially taking the build process of the O-Ring Launcher tube that USWR published but instead of adding an o-ring, you sandwich a bottle and cap in it.
CPVC Coupler.jpg
CPVC Coupler.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 32 times
I'll write up a little how to and post it in the tutorials section.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bugwubber wrote:
DogLover wrote:I would like to know how you made CPVC couplings to connect the bottles.
Here's a crude drawing of it. It is essentially taking the build process of the O-Ring Launcher tube that USWR published but instead of adding an o-ring, you sandwich a bottle and cap in it.
CPVC Coupler.jpg

Bugwubber
Is that going through the thick plastic of the bottle bottom? That should be very strong and resist flexing if it does.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
CPVC Coupler.jpg

Bugwubber
Is that going through the thick plastic of the bottle bottom? That should be very strong and resist flexing if it does.
Yes a 5/8" hole through bottom center. Had a bit of inspiration hit today. I was able to build and test a new coupling the same day. Will do some more testing before I post the change.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote: Yes a 5/8" hole through bottom center. Had a bit of inspiration hit today. I was able to build and test a new coupling the same day. Will do some more testing before I post the change.
Bugwubber

Cool! That sounds interesting.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison