Strange Rocket Ideas

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Strange Rocket Ideas

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Tell me some ideas about rockets. Like a rocket that uses super heated water then flashes to steam.

Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Strange Rocket Ideas

Post by bugwubber »

Here's one you can buy. It just may not be delivered in "like new" condition.

http://www.madmikehughes.com/news4.html
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

I had an idea for a water(ish) rocket. You could use Hydrogen Peroxide at a high concentration instead of water. You could then use a Silver Nozzle as a Catalyst so that it decomposes the Peroxide into Superheated steam and oxygen as it is pushed out the rocket by the compressed air. The Peroxide would be classed as a Monopropellant, meaning that no other fuel (other than the oxidizer) is needed such as Paraffin or Liquid hydrogen!! A bit mad and I am sure that it wouldn't work but something along those lines might? Here is the equation for the decomposition of HTP (High Test Peroxide):

2 H2O2 = 2 H2O + O2
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Jamie5335 wrote:I had an idea for a water(ish) rocket. You could use Hydrogen Peroxide at a high concentration instead of water. You could then use a Silver Nozzle as a Catalyst so that it decomposes the Peroxide into Superheated steam and oxygen as it is pushed out the rocket by the compressed air. The Peroxide would be classed as a Monopropellant, meaning that no other fuel (other than the oxidizer) is needed such as Paraffin or Liquid hydrogen!! A bit mad and I am sure that it wouldn't work but something along those lines might? Here is the equation for the decomposition of HTP (High Test Peroxide):

2 H2O2 = 2 H2O + O2
I think Armadillo Aerospace used peroxide rockets back when they were trying to compete in the Space X Prize. They crashed a lot and were planning on using crushable nosecones as part of their deceleration strategy. Burt then came on the scene talking about shuttlecocks and laughing gas/rubber rockets. Crazy awesome stuff.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Jamie5335 wrote:I had an idea for a water(ish) rocket. You could use Hydrogen Peroxide at a high concentration instead of water. You could then use a Silver Nozzle as a Catalyst so that it decomposes the Peroxide into Superheated steam and oxygen as it is pushed out the rocket by the compressed air. The Peroxide would be classed as a Monopropellant, meaning that no other fuel (other than the oxidizer) is needed such as Paraffin or Liquid hydrogen!! A bit mad and I am sure that it wouldn't work but something along those lines might? Here is the equation for the decomposition of HTP (High Test Peroxide):

2 H2O2 = 2 H2O + O2
I think Armadillo Aerospace used peroxide rockets back when they were trying to compete in the Space X Prize. They crashed a lot and were planning on using crushable nosecones as part of their deceleration strategy. Burt then came on the scene talking about shuttlecocks and laughing gas/rubber rockets. Crazy awesome stuff.

Bugwubber
Messing around with Hydrogen Peroxide in concentrations that are powerful enough to lift off a rocket is probably a lot more dangerous than any other kind of rocket you could mess around with. That kind of concentration will burn your skin on contact, and can react with so many catalysts it can touch off just by pouring it into a dirty container.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bandsons
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bandsons »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:

2 H2O2 = 2 H2O + O2

Bugwubber
Messing around with Hydrogen Peroxide in concentrations that are powerful enough to lift off a rocket is probably a lot more dangerous than any other kind of rocket you could mess around with. That kind of concentration will burn your skin on contact, and can react with so many catalysts it can touch off just by pouring it into a dirty container.
Yes, very dangerous! Unless you can find a way to rapidly decompose it around 30% (which is still considered dangerous). Once you get over the 50% level, that stuff is hell.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Imagine your medical cabinet burning because the company didn't dilute it enough.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Someone should make a chase camera for water rockets...
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:Someone should make a chase camera for water rockets...
And somebody should race a picket fence!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

I've collected several references regarding steam rocketshttp://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/search?q=steam
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

rstaff3 wrote:I've collected several references regarding steam rocketshttp://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/search?q=steam
Steam rockets look very interesting, but for us the danger level in using them makes us back off from the idea. Where we launch there are people and houses that could get damaged by a malfunctioning steam rocket. If we find a more secluded launch area we might give it a go.
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

I hear ya'. I personally would not be inclined to every try one. I still like reading about them that are so inclined :)