Different Types of Bottle Adhesives

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Different Types of Bottle Adhesives

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Hey all, I started this thread for those who don't know what type of adhesive to use. If your wondering where to get that "PL Premium" that everyone is talking about, I don't know where (so don't ask me). But for those kids of teens, or adults who are confused and dumbfounded, please do understand that your regular 5 minute epoxy should work. There are several things to remember if you are not using PL Premium:

-Don't Over Dose; Lots of glue doesn't usually mean lots of strength.

-Don't Under Dose; Little amounts of glue surely will result in the explosion of your joint.

-Use Duck Tape; Duck Tape is useful for bonding anything; that includes water rocket joints.

-Never use hot glue; hot glue will melt PET plastic and can damage rockets. If you must, use a low temperature glue gun with minimal glue.

-If you can use your stove or hot water for shrinking plastic, consider your high temperature hot glue gun. Pushing a hot glue gun on the PET plastic will tend to shrinking.

The glue that I recommend is JB Weld Clear. This stuff is awesome. It can be found at any Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Remember though; any epoxy should do the trick. I would highly recommend using sand paper on the joints before glueing. If a unrupturable bottle were at ten, and a bottle that ruptures at 10 psi were at one, I would say that without sanding your splice may be a 3.5 where as with it, and with JB Weld Clear, your splice should be able to hold more pressure that the plastic bottle can.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask. 8)
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Different Types of Bottle Adhesives

How about recovery by means of tumble because the nose cone wait falls out at appogee!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Hey all, I started this thread for those who don't know what type of adhesive to use. If your wondering where to get that "PL Premium" that everyone is talking about, I don't know where (so don't ask me). But for those kids of teens, or adults who are confused and dumbfounded, please do understand that your regular 5 minute epoxy should work. There are several things to remember if you are not using PL Premium:

-Don't Over Dose; Lots of glue doesn't usually mean lots of strength.

-Don't Under Dose; Little amounts of glue surely will result in the explosion of your joint.

-Use Duck Tape; Duck Tape is useful for bonding anything; that includes water rocket joints.

-Never use hot glue; hot glue will melt PET plastic and can damage rockets. If you must, use a low temperature glue gun with minimal glue.

-If you can use your stove or hot water for shrinking plastic, consider your high temperature hot glue gun. Pushing a hot glue gun on the PET plastic will tend to shrinking.

The glue that I recommend is JB Weld Clear. This stuff is awesome. It can be found at any Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Remember though; any epoxy should do the trick. I would highly recommend using sand paper on the joints before glueing. If a unrupturable bottle were at ten, and a bottle that ruptures at 10 psi were at one, I would say that without sanding your splice may be a 3.5 where as with it, and with JB Weld Clear, your splice should be able to hold more pressure that the plastic bottle can.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask. 8)
PL Premium is available at Home Depot :coffee:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

WRA2 wrote: PL Premium is available at Home Depot :coffee:
Also available at Lowes!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Thanks. I found it!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Also, keep in mind, there are two versions: 3x and 8x. You want the 8x.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.