Water Rocket Staging and Deployment Breakthrough Discovery

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Staging and Deployment Breakthrough Discovery

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Everyone, Water Rocket Expert has developed a new reliable staging and deployment mechanism that is easy enough for a child to understand. The staging and deployment use similar mechanisms. The name for my new staging mechanism is called the “Balloon Valve Stager.” Maybe you’re thinking, “I’ve heard of this before.” Well don’t be mistaken because this is a new upgraded version of the original one valve stager. The advantages to this stager are as follows:
-It is easy to build
-It is not time consuming
-Materials are readily available in most countries
-It works 90% of the time
-It’s not complicated
Okay, so here is how it works:
You will need:
-Nine or twelve inch balloon
-Duct Tape, hot glue, or epoxy glue. Particularly epoxy.
-One way fish valve. Found at Wal-Mart or PetSmart. Typically sold by a Wal-Mart brand or by Tetra (A fish company).
-Your rocket with both stages and full size 22mm nozzle. Try this with water balloons for a smaller nozzle.

Now cut a small hole in the top of your balloon. I mean small. Like the size of a BB or smaller. 4mm probably. Then insert your valve stem in the hole regarding the orientation or the one way valve. Glue or tape the valve to the balloon and sip the mouth of the balloon over the top side of your spliced bottle. Duct tape the valve enhanced balloon on. Make sure that air can go into the balloon and out the other side. Insert the valve enhanced balloon into a 22mm nozzle (or smaller if it works). Use a ring fin for second stage support. Now pressurize your rocket. If done correctly (it always worked for me) the balloon should let air through to the second stage and create a seal to keep air in. When the pressure in the booster drops, then the sustainers pressure kicks into play and thrusts the second stage away pushing the deflated balloon out. The balloon never popped for me. If it does for you (which it shouldn't if you do it correctly) then try using some flexible plastic tubing that fits and inflates instead of the balloon. Try using water balloons for smaller nozzles ( I haven’t tried it yet and might not ever if
I can get any water balloons.
Enjoy the staging mechanism. I did not copy Antigravity Research Corporation. I searched on line. This is my own work. Please comment and ask questions. I couldn’t find it already out there.

TC:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Water Rocket Staging and Deployment Breakthrough Discove

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Everyone, Water Rocket Expert has developed a new reliable staging and deployment mechanism that is easy enough for a child to understand. The staging and deployment use similar mechanisms. The name for my new staging mechanism is called the “Balloon Valve Stager.” Maybe you’re thinking, “I’ve heard of this before.” Well don’t be mistaken because this is a new upgraded version of the original one valve stager. The advantages to this stager are as follows:
-It is easy to build
-It’s not complicated
You will need:
-One way fish valve. Found at Wal-Mart or PetSmart. Typically sold by a Wal-Mart brand or by Tetra (A fish company).
-Your rocket with both stages and full size 22mm nozzle. Try this with water balloons for a smaller nozzle.

Now cut a small hole in the top of your balloon. I mean small. Like the size of a BB or smaller. 4mm probably. Then insert your valve stem in the hole regarding the orientation or the one way valve. Glue or tape the valve to the balloon and sip the mouth of the balloon over the top side of your spliced bottle. Duct tape the valve enhanced balloon on. Make sure that air can go into the balloon and out the other side. Insert the valve enhanced balloon into a 22mm nozzle (or smaller if it works). Use a ring fin for second stage support. Now pressurize your rocket. If done correctly (it always worked for me) the balloon should let air through to the second stage and create a seal to keep air in. When the pressure in the booster drops, then the sustainers pressure kicks into play and thrusts the second stage away pushing the deflated balloon out. The balloon never popped for me. If it does for you (which it shouldn't if you do it correctly) then try using some flexible plastic tubing that fits and inflates instead of the balloon. Try using water balloons for smaller nozzles ( I haven’t tried it yet and might not ever if
Enjoy the staging mechanism. I did not copy Antigravity Research Corporation. I searched on line. This is my own work. Please comment and ask questions. I couldn’t find it already out there.

TC:
That sounds interesting.... do you have a diagram of this system?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

No but if you ask I will make one on microsoft paint.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Everyone, Water Rocket Expert has developed a new reliable staging and deployment mechanism that is easy enough for a child to understand. The staging and deployment use similar mechanisms. The name for my new staging mechanism is called the “Balloon Valve Stager.” Maybe you’re thinking, “I’ve heard of this before.” Well don’t be mistaken because this is a new upgraded version of the original one valve stager. The advantages to this stager are as follows:
-It is easy to build
-It’s not complicated
You will need:

TC:
Now I see how you became a advanced member so quickly! If you are having the success you cay you are having, I'm going to use this stager for my 2-stage FTC project soon. Oh, I'm a little confused on how your attaching the stager to the booster. Can you explain?
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Reptiglorandrockets wrote:
-It is easy to build
-It’s not complicated
You will need:

TC:
Now I see how you became a advanced member so quickly! If you are having the success you cay you are having, I'm going to use this stager for my 2-stage FTC project soon. Oh, I'm a little confused on how your attaching the stager to the booster. Can you explain?
One more thing,and it could be a design flaw. I got to thinking, wouldn't the one- way valve keep the balloon from deflating?

-Randy

Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

No actually it doesn't keep it from deflating. I used a ring fin to keep the sustainer on. Would you like me to make a diagram on microsoft paint.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

No actually the valve doesn't keep it from deflating. I used a ring fin to keep the sustainer on. Would you like me to make a diagram on Microsoft paint. Just reply saying you want me to so I don't go spend 20 minutes for nothing. Have you seen anti gravity's sustainer. It works quite like this except this is my own design there uses a rubber nipple I hear.I have used it resonantly with a two liter booster and a one liter sustainer. It traveled 356' and parachute deployment worked to. Parachute deployment works the same way you just put a small sustainer on the end and tie a string to it and also a parachute to it. It separates and the parachute deployed. Besides where can I get FTC tubing I typically make long rockets out of club soda one liters pet bottles.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

-It is easy to build
-It’s not complicated
You will need:

TC:

I think that you just have to make 15 post to become advance and believe me I have made much more than that.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:No actually the valve doesn't keep it from deflating. I used a ring fin to keep the sustainer on. Would you like me to make a diagram on Microsoft paint. Just reply saying you want me to so I don't go spend 20 minutes for nothing. Have you seen anti gravity's sustainer. It works quite like this except this is my own design there uses a rubber nipple I hear.I have used it resonantly with a two liter booster and a one liter sustainer. It traveled 356' and parachute deployment worked to. Parachute deployment works the same way you just put a small sustainer on the end and tie a string to it and also a parachute to it. It separates and the parachute deployed. Besides where can I get FTC tubing I typically make long rockets out of club soda one liters pet bottles.
It would be great if you made a diagram of the stager. But now I'm wondering, how does the stager release if the ballon doesn't deflate? The balloon is keeping the sustainer on the booster while on the pad right?
I get my T-12 FTC from Lowes in 8' lengths.

-Randy

Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:
-It is easy to build
-It’s not complicated
You will need:

TC:

I think that you just have to make 15 post to become advance and believe me I have made much more than that.
I just noticed we both have made 38 post up to this comment!

Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

woe then I made a lot more posts then you in reletiveness since you joined a while back. I'll make a diagram but check back in a few days and if its not here then remind me I have alot of school like papers and math. I'll try!

That is kind of odd that we both have the same amount of posts! how can you tell?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:woe then I made a lot more posts then you in reletiveness since you joined a while back. I'll make a diagram but check back in a few days and if its not here then remind me I have alot of school like papers and math. I'll try!

That is kind of odd that we both have the same amount of posts! how can you tell?
If you look at we're it says Reptiglorandrockets in the upper left hand corner of this post, you'll see we're it says it. :)
Oh... Just made my 40th post!

Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh I did too
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Sorry it took so long. Here is a diagram from Microsoft Paint I made of the mechanism. If you have any questions, simply ask as it is a rough sketch. A picture might do better.[vimeo] RAT:
Attachments
Balloon Staging Mechanism
Balloon Staging Mechanism
Untitled.jpg (15.72 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Sorry it took so long. Here is a diagram from Microsoft Paint I made of the mechanism. If you have any questions, simply ask as it is a rough sketch. A picture might do better.[vimeo] RAT:
Looks cool. Is the balloon the only thing that holds the sustainer while on the pad?