How High Will My Rocket Go?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

How High Will My Rocket Go?

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I have made a water rocket out of club soda bottles and it is about 4 liters. The bottles are just about the same diameter as a 1 liter soda bottle and the nozzle is the standard 22mm bottle neck opening. I am pressurizing it to 100-120 psi. How high should it go? Do you think it might go 500 feet. I have no altimeter so I will be relying on video footage to estimate compared to other peoples videos and altitudes. How high should it go? Explain please. I am a water rocket kid (14 years old) with about three year experience but still have no altimeter.

Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: How High Will My Rocket Go?

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I have made a water rocket out of club soda bottles and it is about 4 liters. The bottles are just about the same diameter as a 1 liter soda bottle and the nozzle is the standard 22mm bottle neck opening. I am pressurizing it to 100-120 psi. How high should it go? Do you think it might go 500 feet. I have no altimeter so I will be relying on video footage to estimate compared to other peoples videos and altitudes. How high should it go? Explain please. I am a water rocket kid (14 years old) with about three year experience but still have no altimeter.

Have you stopped by the simulators page? There's some good programs on there for estimating your rocket's performance.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Yeah I have but I don't know if there accurate. Do you know how high a rocket like this tends to go. It's about 4 feet tall. Also, can you give me instructions on a parachute system. I was using a foam foot ball in the nose cone but I think that can't even take the impact of 80 mph! Please help TH:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:I have made a water rocket out of club soda bottles and it is about 4 liters. The bottles are just about the same diameter as a 1 liter soda bottle and the nozzle is the standard 22mm bottle neck opening. I am pressurizing it to 100-120 psi. How high should it go? Do you think it might go 500 feet. I have no altimeter so I will be relying on video footage to estimate compared to other peoples videos and altitudes. How high should it go? Explain please. I am a water rocket kid (14 years old) with about three year experience but still have no altimeter.

Have you stopped by the simulators page? There's some good programs on there for estimating your rocket's performance.

Bugwubber
http://www.wra2.org/Water_Rocket_Simula ... _Links.php
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I would prefer if air command would reply but anyone very knowledgeable is okay. Does anyone know if a 22mm nozzle is too big for a 4 liter rocket. I will probably put 1.4 liters in the rocket.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I would prefer if air command would reply but anyone very knowledgeable is okay. Does anyone know if a 22mm nozzle is too big for a 4 liter rocket. I will probably put 1.4 liters in the rocket.
For a rocket made from "club soda" bottles, I see no reason why a 22mm nozzle would be a problem. A point to remember is the smaller diameter the overall rocket is, the more it will benefit from a larger nozzle (less drag at the higher speed the bigger nozzle will get the rocket moving).
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I would prefer if air command would reply but anyone very knowledgeable is okay. Does anyone know if a 22mm nozzle is too big for a 4 liter rocket. I will probably put 1.4 liters in the rocket.
There was an episode of Mythbusters on a few years back that had this little rocket made from an 8 foot polycarbonate fluorescent tube protective cover that set the world altitude record of 1,696 feet using a 22mm nozzle. If you do the math, a tube that size is around 3 liters. So, it should be safe to say that a 22mm nozzle is fine for your rocket. One could make a case based on the available data that 22mm might possibly be on a small size for a rocket of 4 liters volume.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison