*UPDATE* of Thursto's Pneumatic Rocket.

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Thursto
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

*UPDATE* of Thursto's Pneumatic Rocket.

Post by Thursto »

Hey guys its been a long time since ive been on here, just been caught up alot lately, and working so ive only just got the chance to get back on here.

What i have done so far...

Well i have basicly constructed the main launch pad frame form 35x90 lengths of timber.

And for the nose cone i found a cone shaped styrofoam, and though it would be PERFECT for my rocket.

So i brought 4 of them, and when i got home, what did ya know?

fits PERFECTLY in the main body.

So thats my nose cone sorted out.

Parachute: Still no ideas.

Fins: Bottem ones cut to shaped, and slotted togethor, just need to cut the slits in the main body and attach the fins securly. Have not done the tops fins, not sure if i am going to.

Got most parts for fill setup, ie. Gauge, Nipples, hose barbs, fittings and teflon etc.

*PROBLEM NUMBER ONE*

Well after rigging up a quick a quick fill method to pressure test the rocket cylinders, i found a leak :( a MAJOR leak.

Where i have threaded the metal nipple (the big ones) into the end caps, tey do not seal :(

BUT

i have a solution.

Im goin to cut the bottem of, (2.5cm from the end cap) fill around the leak with epoxy/arildite from the inside, thus creating a perfect seal.

Then i can attach it back to the rocket engines by using 2" coupler.

Pictures will be up soon, as im typing this whilst they upload.

Any help will be gretly appreciated.
Thursto
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Thursto »

EDIT:

Here are the pictures...

Self Explanatry really, if you have any questions feel free to ask ;)

Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Thursto! That rocket looks very cool! I love your building techniques because everything is so professional it looks like it was made in a factory. A lot of stuff I make and most of the stuff you see people flying looks like they hand made it from parts they find in the garbage. I hope that it flies as good as it looks!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Tim Chen wrote:Thursto! That rocket looks very cool! I love your building techniques because everything is so professional it looks like it was made in a factory. A lot of stuff I make and most of the stuff you see people flying looks like they hand made it from parts they find in the garbage. I hope that it flies as good as it looks!
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Just about everyone does neater work than Tim!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
Thursto
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Thursto »

Mark Chen wrote:
Tim Chen wrote:Thursto! That rocket looks very cool! I love your building techniques because everything is so professional it looks like it was made in a factory. A lot of stuff I make and most of the stuff you see people flying looks like they hand made it from parts they find in the garbage. I hope that it flies as good as it looks!

Haha thanks guys.

Yes i hae gone for the "proffessional" look, and not something out of the garbage, seeing so this is for a school project, i cant exactly duct tape some stuff togethor i found in th garbage :wink:

Its been a ain in the assss to build mind you.

Thanks heaps guys.

Still one problem remains. PARACHUTE. :roll:
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Thursto wrote:
Mark Chen wrote:

Haha thanks guys.

Yes i hae gone for the "proffessional" look, and not something out of the garbage, seeing so this is for a school project, i cant exactly duct tape some stuff togethor i found in th garbage :wink:

Its been a ain in the assss to build mind you.

Thanks heaps guys.

Still one problem remains. PARACHUTE. :roll:
I would think you are having no trouble making a parachute based on your mad skillz with household tools, right? So the problem is you don't know how to deploy it?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Thursto
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Thursto »

Yes my problem exactly, deployment method.

The rocket will weigh heaps more towards the bottem, because my initial idea was for it to shoot up, and NOT tip over and come nose first, but to come back down with the nose still pointing up, and if u look at my other designs you'll see the idea.

and bassicly when it shoots up, the force holds the chute or presses it againts the cone, then when it comes back down the chute deploys.

but i will try anything else you guys think will work.

thanks heaps.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Thursto wrote:Yes my problem exactly, deployment method.

The rocket will weigh heaps more towards the bottem, because my initial idea was for it to shoot up, and NOT tip over and come nose first, but to come back down with the nose still pointing up, and if u look at my other designs you'll see the idea.

and bassicly when it shoots up, the force holds the chute or presses it againts the cone, then when it comes back down the chute deploys.

but i will try anything else you guys think will work.

thanks heaps.
You could try using an "air speed flap" to hold a spring (rubber band?) loaded trap-door for the chute closed. On the pad, you use a string or something to hold the flap closed then when the rocket flies the air friction of the fast travel in the air holds the flap down. When speed slows down near apogee, the air slows and this lets the flap open up and releases the trap-door and the chute pops out.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise