Custom Bottles!!

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Custom Bottles!!

Post by Blenderite »

I happen to run across this on amazon:

Sounds like a perfect start to a custom bottle?

Obviously a form would be needed, but hey, what's PVC for?

Tempting, tempting, tempting.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
bandsons
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Custom Bottles!!

Post by bandsons »

DogLover wrote:I happen to run across this on amazon:

Sounds like a perfect start to a custom bottle?

Obviously a form would be needed, but hey, what's PVC for?

Tempting, tempting, tempting.

Seems really hard to do but would be super cool.
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

George from Aircommandrockets used these to pressure test tornado tubes to 270psi before. They look like a very easy to make FTC bulkheads if they are the right diameter.

-Randy
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I just might try this.
-Blenderite

Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I'm sorry but this don't look like it will work. It just looks like the bottles are one sided. Unless you intend to mold your own or mold those. Exactly what were you going to use them for.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

No these are standard industry preforms that are stretch blow molded into coke bottles. Would still require a splice though. They are sold as cheap indestructable test tubes as well. You might talk with Antigravity Research since it looks like they got their hands on a custom double ended bottle form.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

No I mean they don't look like pet bottles. Anyways you can buy one liter bottles at Giant Food or Walmart if you live in USA or maybe Germany that are stretched. You just have to splice them and they hold almost two liters. That is what I use for my water rockets. That water rocket reached 421'.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I personally salvage most of my bottles from the recycle bins in my neighborhood. Never seem to have a short supply.

The only benefit I can see with these is making a stronger 1 liter. What I mean is take the 2 liter preform, and blow it up to the size of a 1 liter bottle. That will make the walls thicker than a standard 1 liter bottle. Then re-enforcing may be completely unnecessary.
-Blenderite

Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Ahha me too! but I don't find many two liter bottles. I find a lot of the enlogated 1 liters and many odd shapes. I can go through my entire neighborhood and only find three!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Something else to consider- PET bottle compositions can be different for carbonated vs non carbonated bottles so you'd likely want to be sure those preforms were carbonated bev variety.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:No these are standard industry preforms that are stretch blow molded into coke bottles. Would still require a splice though. They are sold as cheap indestructable test tubes as well. You might talk with Antigravity Research since it looks like they got their hands on a custom double ended bottle form.
That's weird.... where did you see a double ended bottle???
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:No these are standard industry preforms that are stretch blow molded into coke bottles. Would still require a splice though. They are sold as cheap indestructable test tubes as well. You might talk with Antigravity Research since it looks like they got their hands on a custom double ended bottle form.
Well now that you mentioned that, I looked up the bottle again an realized the tip of their bottle is always hidden by a piece of what looks like pool noodle foam. Guess I made an assumption based on the shape of the top of their bottle.

Bugwubbe
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Well now that you mentioned that, I looked up the bottle again an realized the tip of their bottle is always hidden by a piece of what looks like pool noodle foam. Guess I made an assumption based on the shape of the top of their bottle.

Bugwubbe
When they came out with the elongated bottle several years ago (it may have been discussed on the old MSN Group) someone speculated that they had a machine that heated a regular bottle and rammed a rod through the neck and into the base and stretched the whole thing long and narrow.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Custom Bottles

Post by Blenderite »

I'm thinking that a piece of PVC could be used for a mold and then the bottle could be heated and pressurized in the PVC form. Not sure if that would work. A custom form could be made out of wood for guppy bottles.
-Blenderite

Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I saw some kind of enlongated bottles at Giant. I gave it a try and it seemed to work but there only 1 liter each. :)
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland