Quadcopter rocket launch

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Quadcopter rocket launch

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I just started trying this it sounded like a good idea. I have a friend who has a quadcopter (the same one with the altimeter) and he a I built a launch platform. This might not work well for larger rockets because we only tried it for a tiny 1 liter rocket with fins. We flew it up about maybe 60' and used a servo to launch the rocket. It was cool, I'm not sure how practical and for any large rockets, just imagine how large the quad would have to be. We use water proofing rubber and sprayed it over the main board of the quad. The rubber is pealable meaning we removed it afterwards. I'm looking into this more but it wouldn't work for competitions.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Quadcopter rocket launch

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I just started trying this it sounded like a good idea. I have a friend who has a quadcopter (the same one with the altimeter) and he a I built a launch platform. This might not work well for larger rockets because we only tried it for a tiny 1 liter rocket with fins. We flew it up about maybe 60' and used a servo to launch the rocket. It was cool, I'm not sure how practical and for any large rockets, just imagine how large the quad would have to be. We use water proofing rubber and sprayed it over the main board of the quad. The rubber is pealable meaning we removed it afterwards. I'm looking into this more but it wouldn't work for competitions.
You need to capture one of those Amazon Prime Air delivery quadcopters. They can haul 5.6 pound packages for up to 10 miles. That means you could probably get 10 pounds lifted for 10 minutes air time.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Quadcopter rocket launch

Post by Blenderite »

LOL. That is a great idea. Please tell me that you got video of it!!!!!!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"