Alternatives to West Systems Epoxy?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Alternatives to West Systems Epoxy?

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Is the glue rock hard?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Is the glue rock hard?
There might be some kind of epoxy that stays flexible, but the kind being discussed here is typically used for doing a layup with a fabric, and that kind of epoxy is always quite hard.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello Randy,

I am fifteen, what are the chances of that!

I am getting some Epoxy for Christmas, to be accurate we are using West Systems 105 Epoxy and 206 hardener as the resin, mainly because it is what Air Command use and it works to great effect, you can get this for around $30 on ebay.

I would strongly suggest using a double wrap, even if your operating pressure is 200 PSI it is cutting it fine, the single wrap predicted burst pressures Air Command have listed in the very helpful page below:

Plus try putting a few of the filaments in the ribs of the bottle for extra reinforcement.

Plus what FIbreglass are you using?? If it is less that 200 (gsm) grams per metre squared, then maybe that is your problem and not the Epoxy Resin?? Just a guess!

We are hoping that it works, and we are trying to break the 150 metre mark so we will see,

Good Luck!

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Sorry, that link didn't work- just seach 'fibreglass' on Air Commands website, or just look at Day 91.

Cheers,

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Jamie5335 wrote:Hello Randy,

I am fifteen, what are the chances of that!

I am getting some Epoxy for Christmas, to be accurate we are using West Systems 105 Epoxy and 206 hardener as the resin, mainly because it is what Air Command use and it works to great effect, you can get this for around $30 on ebay.

I would strongly suggest using a double wrap, even if your operating pressure is 200 PSI it is cutting it fine, the single wrap predicted burst pressures Air Command have listed in the very helpful page below:

Plus try putting a few of the filaments in the ribs of the bottle for extra reinforcement.

Plus what FIbreglass are you using?? If it is less that 200 (gsm) grams per metre squared, then maybe that is your problem and not the Epoxy Resin?? Just a guess!

We are hoping that it works, and we are trying to break the 150 metre mark so we will see,

Good Luck!

Jamie B
Thanks Jamie,

Yup the fiberglass I use is my dad's 200 gsm plain weave cloth. He has a ton of it. I agree, I should have used a double wrap of the fiberglass cloth, just to be safe. The bottles I use don't have any ribs, so we can't add any filaments there.

Good luck on breaking 150 meters, I can already some strict Competition between us! :-)

-Randy
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

where can I get it?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein