Where to buy fiberglass

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Where to buy fiberglass

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

where do you buy fiberglass?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Where to buy fiberglass

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hello There,

My dad has a friend that works for a company that use alot of fibreglass, so he manages to get us some of the larger offcuts that would just get thrown away.

However you can just search on Google for fibreglass, and then buy the Epoxy from ebay- I would recommend 200gsm fibreglass in a woven pattern rather than the random weaving stuff and WEST SYSTEM 105 EPOXY RESIN + 206 HARDENER.

A good rosetterie also helps and 2 people make the process a whole lot more manageable!

Hope that helps!

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:where do you buy fiberglass?
Go to any automotive supply center. They will have fiberglass in the body repair section, with bondo and paint and that sort of thing.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I can't afford it so I am making my own PET Heat Shrink Reinforcement.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Hey everyone, I have come up with a new way of reinforcing bottles as I can't afford fiberglass. This is the process: You will need a 22mm launcher.

1. You will need two identical bottles, preferably two liter because that is what I tried it with.

2. Cut the very bottom of one of the bottles off.

3. Take the main section and cut the neck off so the other bottles neck will fit through.

4. Sand the inside of the cut bottle and the outside of the bottle that is intact.

5.Apply your glue to the inside of the cut bottle and the outside of the bottle that is intact or either one or both, whatever you prefer.(PL Premium or JB Weld Clear preferably).

6. Slide the cut bottle onto the bottle that is intact and slide the neck of the bottle that is intact through the cut neck of the cut bottle.

7. Now you probably see the dent in the side of the bottle that is intact. Take the bottle and place it on the launcher and pressurize it to at least 30 psi, or whenever the dent is pushed/bulged out so it is smooth.

8. Let the glue or epoxy cure this way.

9. Take it off the launcher once glued.

10. You do not need to glue the bottom on the bottle as you will probably be splicing two of these together. Remember you can pore heated water over the bottle to tighten the shrink over the good bottle and you can also use this method to reinforce the spliced part of the splice.

This was my idea. Tell me if someone else came up with it first.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

That's a good idea. I believe air command has used a similar method in the past, but I'm not sure. Good work.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Hey everyone, I have come up with a new way of reinforcing bottles as I can't afford fiberglass. This is the process: You will need a 22mm launcher.

1. You will need two identical bottles, preferably two liter because that is what I tried it with.

2. Cut the very bottom of one of the bottles off.

3. Take the main section and cut the neck off so the other bottles neck will fit through.

4. Sand the inside of the cut bottle and the outside of the bottle that is intact.

5.Apply your glue to the inside of the cut bottle and the outside of the bottle that is intact or either one or both, whatever you prefer.(PL Premium or JB Weld Clear preferably).

6. Slide the cut bottle onto the bottle that is intact and slide the neck of the bottle that is intact through the cut neck of the cut bottle.

7. Now you probably see the dent in the side of the bottle that is intact. Take the bottle and place it on the launcher and pressurize it to at least 30 psi, or whenever the dent is pushed/bulged out so it is smooth.

8. Let the glue or epoxy cure this way.

9. Take it off the launcher once glued.

10. You do not need to glue the bottom on the bottle as you will probably be splicing two of these together. Remember you can pore heated water over the bottle to tighten the shrink over the good bottle and you can also use this method to reinforce the spliced part of the splice.

This was my idea. Tell me if someone else came up with it first.
My only concern is how heavy it is. How much does a reinforced 1L bottle weigh? Have a Merry Christmas.

-Randy
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

I've seen similar ways to reinforce bottles. I like the idea of pressurizing the bottle to get the dent out.
What pressure do those reinforced bottles hold?
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

A one liter bottle reinforced this way weighs about the same as one with fiber glass. Maybe 20% heavier in reinforcement part weight. The bottles were tested with compressed nitrogen and burst at about 345 psi. They seem like they are stronger together than they would be individualy. 150 + 150 = 300 psi but it burst at 345 of course I tested it when they were filled with water. I really don't have a use for them myself right now as I don't have a way to pressurize bottles above 160 psi, but an air compressor might get to 300 psi. Any more questions. I am happy to answer. Oh, and also, let the glue FULLY CURE before touching. The dent will come right back when the pressure is gone unless there is enough glue like just not a tiny bit and it is fully cured.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:A one liter bottle reinforced this way weighs about the same as one with fiber glass. Maybe 20% heavier in reinforcement part weight. The bottles were tested with compressed nitrogen and burst at about 345 psi. They seem like they are stronger together than they would be individualy. 150 + 150 = 300 psi but it burst at 345 of course I tested it when they were filled with water. I really don't have a use for them myself right now as I don't have a way to pressurize bottles above 160 psi, but an air compressor might get to 300 psi. Any more questions. I am happy to answer. Oh, and also, let the glue FULLY CURE before touching. The dent will come right back when the pressure is gone unless there is enough glue like just not a tiny bit and it is fully cured.
broken-image-no-pic-it-didnt-happen-DVfWa2.jpg
broken-image-no-pic-it-didnt-happen-DVfWa2.jpg (17.36 KiB) Viewed 36 times
Bill W.
Team Seneca