Glue Splice

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Glue Splice

Post by arjan »

Reptiglorandrockets wrote: Oh, I'm just afraid that if I happen to do break the record in the future, USWR will come around and fly past 3000' and make us all look like fools! :-)
Yes I've been thinking about that too!
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

arjan wrote:
Reptiglorandrockets wrote: Oh, I'm just afraid that if I happen to do break the record in the future, USWR will come around and fly past 3000' and make us all look like fools! :-)
Sounds like excuses here. Do, not because these things are easy, but because they are hard. Yes the risk of failure is great, but even to have tried and failed is more glorious than not giving it your best. Dont use "someone may do it better" as a cop out to not evem try.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

bugwubber wrote:
arjan wrote:
Sounds like excuses here. Do, not because these things are easy, but because they are hard. Yes the risk of failure is great, but even to have tried and failed is more glorious than not giving it your best. Dont use "someone may do it better" as a cop out to not evem try.

Bugwubber
I'm not giving excuses to not going for a record, I'm just complimenting USWR! :-) A legit 'excuse' I have right now is that I have no plans on breaking a water rocket record/competing in competitions. I'm just enjoying the journey of the rocketry hobby before getting too serious.
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Reptiglorandrockets wrote: I'm not giving excuses to not going for a record, I'm just complimenting USWR! :-) A legit 'excuse' I have right now is that I have no plans on breaking a water rocket record/competing in competitions. I'm just enjoying the journey of the rocketry hobby before getting too serious.
We really only compete in the one class. We don't really have time to compete in multiple classes, so you're more than welcome to compete in any class you think you can win.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Reptiglorandrockets wrote: I'm not giving excuses to not going for a record, I'm just complimenting USWR! :-) A legit 'excuse' I have right now is that I have no plans on breaking a water rocket record/competing in competitions. I'm just enjoying the journey of the rocketry hobby before getting too serious.
We really only compete in the one class. We don't really have time to compete in multiple classes, so you're more than welcome to compete in any class you think you can win.
Honestly, our rocket development has been slow because school, the current squirrel hunting season and other family related things. Maybe later this year we will have a go at the multiple stage class depending on how our current project performs.

Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Personally I have never had success with using the 3x PLP. I bought a tube of it once and the splice failed around 80PSI. I tried another and the same thing happened. Maybe I didn't let it cure long enough. At the time I trusted the "Dried in 24 hours" on the label, maybe I'll give it another shot and let it cure for a week before I test it.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

DogLover wrote:Personally I have never had success with using the 3x PLP. I bought a tube of it once and the splice failed around 80PSI. I tried another and the same thing happened. Maybe I didn't let it cure long enough. At the time I trusted the "Dried in 24 hours" on the label, maybe I'll give it another shot and let it cure for a week before I test it.
I believe the "3x" and "8x" has more to do with the viscosity of the glue when wet out of the tube. The "8x" is thicker and is preferred in an application where you might be gluing one object to a vertical surface such as gluing tile to a wall (works great for that by the way). The viscosity of the "8x" keeps whatever you are gluing from sliding out of position before the clue can dry. That said the "3x" might work better when gluing tight fitting bottles together.

24 hours seems too short of a time to let dry for use in a pressurized rocket
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Yeah dry does not equal fully cured. Guaranteed your splice will fail if you pressurize it within 3 days. 4 days, you're rolling the dice. Just ask my blown splices.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

bugwubber wrote:Yeah dry does not equal fully cured. Guaranteed your splice will fail if you pressurize it within 3 days. 4 days, you're rolling the dice. Just ask my blown splices.

Bugwubber
The thicker the glue, the longer it takes to fully cure! Remember that if you make a big joint or add a reinforcing hoop around a joint, it will make it harder to cure because it will be so thick. Always make sure that you allow plenty of extra curing time!
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Team Seneca wrote:
bugwubber wrote:Yeah dry does not equal fully cured. Guaranteed your splice will fail if you pressurize it within 3 days. 4 days, you're rolling the dice. Just ask my blown splices.

Bugwubber
The thicker the glue, the longer it takes to fully cure! Remember that if you make a big joint or add a reinforcing hoop around a joint, it will make it harder to cure because it will be so thick. Always make sure that you allow plenty of extra curing time!
I think I heard of some people lightly spraying a fine mist of water on their glue joints to speed up the curing time in dry climates.

When do you plan on flying the modular rocket at full pressure?

bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Reptiglorandrockets wrote:
Team Seneca wrote:

Bugwubber
I think I heard of some people lightly spraying a fine mist of water on their glue joints to speed up the curing time in dry climates.

When do you plan on flying the modular rocket at full pressure?
I've done the misting, just not on splices as I thought it may lead to more bubbles.

We're just getting above the melting point of water now after some -20F mornings. Also just got back from a 3500m roadtrip to Phoenix and the Grand Canyon. So had to put that on the back burner for awhile. Will prob try some horizontal rocket ski launches this month.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Did you says it's twenty degree's. Bugwubber, it recently has been 3 degrees here in Maryland (I assume your in minosoda) sorry I spelled that wrong, and that is pretty rare for that cold. Typically it is 25-36 degrees so when you say minus twenty! Wow! Get out their and make some ski rockets with snow as the fuel.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein