Glue Splice

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Glue Splice

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I am using 2 liter bottles for my splice and am using PL Premium 3x stronger than ordinary adhesives glue by loctite. How much should my over lap be? Is there a certain type of PL I should have purchased?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Glue Splice

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I am using 2 liter bottles for my splice and am using PL Premium 3x stronger than ordinary adhesives glue by loctite. How much should my over lap be? Is there a certain type of PL I should have purchased?
PL Premium Construction Adhesive is the cat's meow! Don't get PL "Plain". It's not as good. The size of the overlap I don't know for sure. I never did experiments to find the best amount. I use 1 inch to be safe. Other people swear by their own size. I just use a round number that is about an average of what people do.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I am using 2 liter bottles for my splice and am using PL Premium 3x stronger than ordinary adhesives glue by loctite. How much should my over lap be? Is there a certain type of PL I should have purchased?
3x and 8x don't seem to be any different once fully cured. The 8x type seems to be thicker and stickier when it is fresh out of the tube. The 3x is easier to work with because it is less viscous.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Good answer. Thanks guys for the help. I am working on building a rocket with two liter bottles without any couplings. Just the entire thing spliced. I'll be about 6 feet long. Tell me what you think. When I launch it which will probably be a month or two, I'll post my results in the team best forum that is if the rocket flies at all.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Good answer. Thanks guys for the help. I am working on building a rocket with two liter bottles without any couplings. Just the entire thing spliced. I'll be about 6 feet long. Tell me what you think. When I launch it which will probably be a month or two, I'll post my results in the team best forum that is if the rocket flies at all.
I made a rocket much like that a few years ago. It had so many splices that I was always fearful it would burst, so I never launched it with more than about 100PSI in it. It could go about 500 feet high with that much pressure, so I didn't need to push it.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

It seems to be that that and FTC are the only few types of rockets to make. What kinds of rockets are you guys making. I can think of anything new. Do you guys splice the entire rocket. Do you just change the fin design or what? What make one rocket different from another.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:It seems to be that that and FTC are the only few types of rockets to make. What kinds of rockets are you guys making. I can think of anything new. Do you guys splice the entire rocket. Do you just change the fin design or what? What make one rocket different from another.
I made a rocket from PVC pipe once, but it was pretty heavy so when the chute came out early by mistake, it ripped off and the rocket went into a corn field and I never found it. I imagine the poor farmer must have found it with his harvester. I hope it didn't get turned into cow feed!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:It seems to be that that and FTC are the only few types of rockets to make. What kinds of rockets are you guys making. I can think of anything new. Do you guys splice the entire rocket. Do you just change the fin design or what? What make one rocket different from another.
I have attempted to construct an all fiberglass rocket like a handful of water rocketeers have done, but the problem was is that the rocket would leak at around 400PSI, and it was too heavy. We also used a metal 15mm nozzle that could have been dangerous if the rocket have exploded. We are currently working on a 2-Stage FTC Water Rocket. In case you didn't know, one of the first water rockets to break 1000' was a 2-stage water rocket with a FTC sustainer. I can't seem to fing the old website anymore, I wonder if anyone has a link to the website?
Attachments
Fiberglass Rocket
Fiberglass Rocket
image.jpg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Is that a box full of bottle caps. And how do you get to 400 psi . Using a scuba tank?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Yup, what's what I'm looking for. It's amazing they got to such great heights with a small rocket.

Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Is that a box full of bottle caps. And how do you get to 400 psi . Using a scuba tank?
The box is just my 'junk' box I used over the years. It has bottle caps, tornado tubes, a few nails, springs and a lot of other stuff. We use a 80CF scuba tank that is pressurized to 3300 PSI on the higher pressure/larger rockets. It comes in handy if you don't want to wait a while to pressurize a large rocket.

arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Reptiglorandrockets wrote: Yup, what's what I'm looking for. It's amazing they got to such great heights with a small rocket.
Yes I agree, but it is time to break the record don't you think?
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

arjan wrote:
Reptiglorandrockets wrote: Yup, what's what I'm looking for. It's amazing they got to such great heights with a small rocket.
Oh, I'm just afraid that if I happen to do break the record in the future, USWR will come around and fly past 3000' and make us all look like fools! :-)

WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Reptiglorandrockets wrote:
arjan wrote:
Oh, I'm just afraid that if I happen to do break the record in the future, USWR will come around and fly past 3000' and make us all look like fools! :-)
Well there are 6 different competition classes. PH: Why not set one of those records? :coffee:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2: