FTC Nozzle and Splicing

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

FTC Nozzle and Splicing

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I hear that robison coupleings are bad for a full bore rocket. Is this so and I also hear that splcing the entire rocket is good instead but what if just one splice fails. Also, can you tell me any good ways to make a nozzle for FTC.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: FTC Nozzle and Splicing

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I hear that robison coupleings are bad for a full bore rocket. Is this so and I also hear that splcing the entire rocket is good instead but what if just one splice fails. Also, can you tell me any good ways to make a nozzle for FTC.
Lamp rod tubes and that kind of joint is smaller than the nozzle, so you won't get as much air flowing into the lower section of the rocket to replace the volume that was expelled.

I find that when one fails on any kind of rocket that it crumples a lot of the rest of the rocket sections because the explosion force goes into the rest of the rocket.

You can make a wood form and shrink a bottle to make end caps for an FTC. This is how most people do it because it is easy and works a treat!

Cheers!
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I hear that robison coupleings are bad for a full bore rocket. Is this so and I also hear that splcing the entire rocket is good instead but what if just one splice fails. Also, can you tell me any good ways to make a nozzle for FTC.
I always take my Mag Light that fits a little loose into my T-12 FTC and take a 1L bottle with the bottom cut off, and then take a heat gun and shrink the bottle over the light. The bottle doesn't really stick to the light so its very easy to slip off.

I thought you made a 2-stage rocket using a FTC booster?

-Randy
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I did but the nozzle was made using ply wood and a hole saw and didn't work as I had hoped.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I did but the nozzle was made using ply wood and a hole saw and didn't work as I had hoped.
That would have made some sense in your 944 feet topic where Randy asked you how you made the nozzle.
Talking about answering questions!
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I did but the nozzle was made using ply wood and a hole saw and didn't work as I had hoped.
How did you glue/ attach it to the FTC? Can you give details of your launcher?

-Randy

Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I'm a little confused. Was the nozzle made from plywood with a hole drilled in it, or did you use the plywood to make the nozzle out of a different material?

-Randy

U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

It should be quite possible to make a water rocket from only wood. That would be very challenging, but it could be done.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Very challenging. I cut a circle of wood with a hole saw and I drilled a hole through it for a nozzle. I used a balloon/nipple over my launch tube and used a launch rod. I used JB Weld Clear for glue but now I have PL Premium and an altimeter that I own. Plus a DVD camera that I lost when my last splice exploded.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland