Alternative for Tornado Tubes

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Alternative for Tornado Tubes

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Hey guys tell me what you think about this idea. For those who need an alternative to couple bottles I found it! So all you need is half inch PVC and a male and female screw on connectors. Instead of permanently gluing the splices together, just glue a 2 inch segment of PVC into the pipe using PL Premium or similar and then glue on the screw connectors so that they are interchangeable! Now this might not work too well for big rockets because of the restricted internal flow but if the pressure is high and its less then like 6 splices it should be okay. Tell me what you think. I decided I am going to try that on my new rocket, the Slim Stick 9L. A rocket I have estimated to fly to 650 feet! Oh and that rocket from the Ozone Probe post, I launched it and it went 439 feet and 80 psi using a 9mm nozzle.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Alternative for Tornado Tubes

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Hey guys tell me what you think about this idea. For those who need an alternative to couple bottles I found it! So all you need is half inch PVC and a male and female screw on connectors. Instead of permanently gluing the splices together, just glue a 2 inch segment of PVC into the pipe using PL Premium or similar and then glue on the screw connectors so that they are interchangeable! Now this might not work too well for big rockets because of the restricted internal flow but if the pressure is high and its less then like 6 splices it should be okay. Tell me what you think. I decided I am going to try that on my new rocket, the Slim Stick 9L. A rocket I have estimated to fly to 650 feet! Oh and that rocket from the Ozone Probe post, I launched it and it went 439 feet and 80 psi using a 9mm nozzle.
If you can find flourescent light tube covers at Stuff Mart etc, you will find one size that a coke bottle cap will just fit in. USWR has details on their website about using these to make your own tornado tubes. Less weight AND makes a full bore connector.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Hey guys tell me what you think about this idea. For those who need an alternative to couple bottles I found it! So all you need is half inch PVC and a male and female screw on connectors. Instead of permanently gluing the splices together, just glue a 2 inch segment of PVC into the pipe using PL Premium or similar and then glue on the screw connectors so that they are interchangeable! Now this might not work too well for big rockets because of the restricted internal flow but if the pressure is high and its less then like 6 splices it should be okay. Tell me what you think. I decided I am going to try that on my new rocket, the Slim Stick 9L. A rocket I have estimated to fly to 650 feet! Oh and that rocket from the Ozone Probe post, I launched it and it went 439 feet and 80 psi using a 9mm nozzle.
Your idea would work, but it has a issue that might matter to some people. The downside of this idea is that the connectors and pipes have a tiny inside diameter, and when you put them all together the length of the pipes plus the small inner diameter makes a really restrictive flow path. I think the length makes it worse because there is a lot of friction along the walls of the narrow tubes. You can't make a full 22mm nozzle and use it with these because the air pressure won't get to the bottom bottle fast enough.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

You can't say that to me. I did it and it launched fine 8.5 liter rocket to 537 feet.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:You can't say that to me. I did it and it launched fine 8.5 liter rocket to 537 feet.
He isn't saying it won't work at all, but it won't work as well.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"