FTC Nozzle

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: FTC Nozzle

Post by Blenderite »

Water Rocket Expert,

Here is a really good simulator.

http://polyplex.org/rockets/simulation/

Make sure you don't skimp on your measurements or it will be off.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

This is the sim I use alot.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:This is the sim I use alot.
Then you should know how high your rocket should go. I doubt a single stage rocket will go 700' at just 120 PSI.
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:I didn't heat shrink it I just glued the edges to it I think it ain't gonna work so I will just have to try to do your method after I test it. How high should it go? It is about 6.5 feet tall excluding nose cone part, has a ring fin and it will be pressurized to 120 psi. How much higher can I pump it to since it is not reinforced? Maybe it will go 700'?
Someone else will have to answer that. I typically don't pressurize over 100psi.
If the ends don't pop out, a Polycarbonate FTC tube will hold about 160PSI before failing. This will fly between 450 and 550 feet high, depending on how well made the rest of the rocket is (weight, fin alignment, and aerodynamics, etc.)
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

The sim said 678'. I could try to be more accurate with my inputs. Where do I get the carbon fiber or fiberglass or what ever you guys use to make it hold high pressure. I might try to hold 500 psi. If it is true that your pressure in the x-12 was over 1000 psi, what is the launcher made of?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Reptiglorandrockets wrote:
Then you should know how high your rocket should go. I doubt a single stage rocket will go 700' at just 120 PSI.
I did a better input but it still said 634'. Do you want a print screen posted?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:
Reptiglorandrockets wrote:
I did a better input but it still said 634'. Do you want a print screen posted?
Either your simulator is defective, you have input the wrong weight or drag values, or something. It won't go that high.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

That sim is faulty.
Attachments
Water Rocket Results.pdf
(124.92 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:The sim said 678'. I could try to be more accurate with my inputs. Where do I get the carbon fiber or fiberglass or what ever you guys use to make it hold high pressure. I might try to hold 500 psi. If it is true that your pressure in the x-12 was over 1000 psi, what is the launcher made of?
Our launchers are made of PVC or wood frames, plus steel, copper, brass, and some nylon and a little iron.

We use the Split Collar design for holding extremely high pressures, since it works so well and avoids needless complexity. http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm

You get carbon fiber online using google search. You should be able to get about 1 layer of it about 1 square inch in size for the price of a tornado tube. This will be good for a very tiny rocket.

Before you get hung up going to ultimate pressure, you will need to build a rocket from scratch that goes up and deploys a parachute and successfully lands first. After that you should try and find a suitable compressor or air source for high pressure. This can cost more than a rocket costs, so you may want too get this first so that you know what you can budget.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I have an air compressor to 150 psi and a long drive pump to 220 psi. I may purchase a tank for $180.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland