An intriguing find...

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

An intriguing find...

Post by bugwubber »

This is a 1L MTN Dew bottle with an extra large neck. A normal bottle cap fits snugly inside it. This metal pipe slides right in as well. Going to have to think about this for awhile. Suggestions?

Bugwubber
CAM00653.jpg
CAM00653.jpg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 54 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: An intriguing find...

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

bugwubber wrote:This is a 1L MTN Dew bottle with an extra large neck. A normal bottle cap fits snugly inside it. This metal pipe slides right in as well. Going to have to think about this for awhile. Suggestions?

Bugwubber
CAM00653.jpg
I suppose 1/2 inch pvc is too lose? Still if the collar is their it might work for a reduced nozzle with the cable tie somehow. If the cap can be drilled and glued into the neck then you can choose any size nozzle as long as you have that drill bit.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I think I have seen a few of those. Never tried them out though.
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

bugwubber wrote:This is a 1L MTN Dew bottle with an extra large neck. A normal bottle cap fits snugly inside it. This metal pipe slides right in as well. Going to have to think about this for awhile. Suggestions?

Bugwubber
CAM00653.jpg
Pepsi products came in these bottles for one summer about 5 years ago. They called them Wide Mouth bottles. They were the same size necks and caps that are on the fat 3 liter bottles. If the large cap fits snug into a T12 FTC tube then these are the same. I used them to make a FTC rocket with a bottle on the top.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Team Seneca wrote:

Bugwubber
CAM00653.jpg
Pepsi products came in these bottles for one summer about 5 years ago. They called them Wide Mouth bottles. They were the same size necks and caps that are on the fat 3 liter bottles. If the large cap fits snug into a T12 FTC tube then these are the same. I used them to make a FTC rocket with a bottle on the top.
What's the point of the FTC if you put a bottle on top. Doesn't that "decrease" performance by increasing drag? Please let me know if I am wrong.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:
Team Seneca wrote:

Bugwubber
CAM00653.jpg
What's the point of the FTC if you put a bottle on top. Doesn't that "decrease" performance by increasing drag? Please let me know if I am wrong.
The point is, to experiment and find out. A T8 leaves scant room for electronics and parachute so an expanded upper section can help with that. And besides, the aquanaughts start to complain about the leg room...
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Team Seneca wrote:

Bugwubber
CAM00653.jpg
Thought I Posted a reply but am not seeing it so apologies if both show up.

That is good news if it is the same size neck as a 3l. I guess a regional bottler is still putting them out for truck stops?
I think I'll make a launcher for it and see how fast I can get an FTC to go.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:
Team Seneca wrote:

Bugwubber
CAM00653.jpg
Thought I Posted a reply but am not seeing it so apologies if both show up.

That is good news if it is the same size neck as a 3l. I guess a regional bottler is still putting them out for truck stops?
I think I'll make a launcher for it and see how fast I can get an FTC to go.

Bugwubber
How many of those bottles do you have?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland