Anti gravity

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Anti gravity

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

This is awesome. 1000 feet at 1225 psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check this out
[youtube][/youtube]
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Anti gravity

If antigavity is not a WRA2 member then that means that their is no official record so I can built one to go several hundred feet? Is this correct?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:If antigavity is not a WRA2 member then that means that their is no official record so I can built one to go several hundred feet? Is this correct?
Although impressive and it does stand as high mark for "anything goes" 2 liter bottle rockets, that flight doesn't qualify under the reinforced 2 liter competition in several areas. Use of compressed 100% nitrogen, no onboard camera, lack of logging altimeter etc.

The unreinforced competition is limited to 100 psi and is targeted at those that don't have access to a high pressure compressor/scuba tanks or want to deal with the expense of making a carbon wrapped bottle.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Actually AGR did hold the record for about a year. That flight in the video went 1242 feet and was considered the record as it occurred prior to the formation of the WRA2. This was back in 2003 during the "wild west" time in water rocketry when it became really clear that rules were needed so that record rocket would compete against similar rockets (AGR beat an unreinforced 2 stage FTC/bottle that went 1160 feet). They used it to promote their water rocket toys that they sell. The flight was used as the "benchmark" that needed to be beaten while following the WRA2 class A rules. About a year later USWR beat it with an average altitude of 1421 feet while complying with all WRA2 rules.

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/world_rec ... ht_log.htm

As far as the "reinforced bottle" competition, that flight does not count. Whoever submits a rules compliant rocket/flights will claim the record (just don't be suprised if someone comes along and beats it quickly if you submit flights of 100 feet).
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Okay. Maybe I could try some unreinforced. If I put some effort in, how high do you think a two liter bottle can go?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

So I was just wondering, how come you guys don't accept a peak altitude altimeter such as the altimeter two. Pretty much by disallowing these, you are making everyone who wants to compete, purchase a logging altimeter. I mean eventually I can, but they cost a bit much to just jump at it, especially when the NAR allows the Jolly Logic Altimeters like I have. I don't mean for a war, just a conversation.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:So I was just wondering, how come you guys don't accept a peak altitude altimeter such as the altimeter two. Pretty much by disallowing these, you are making everyone who wants to compete, purchase a logging altimeter. I mean eventually I can, but they cost a bit much to just jump at it, especially when the NAR allows the Jolly Logic Altimeters like I have. I don't mean for a war, just a conversation.

Before we get into this, lets level set.

Not saying you HAVE to but, this is an option and is what I have been using.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

$29.92
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Okay. Maybe I could try some unreinforced. If I put some effort in, how high do you think a two liter bottle can go?
Here's my logging altimeter readout from my 2 liter fully unreinforced class compliant water rocket. Launched at 100psi on the second launch.
altimeter.jpg
altimeter.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Cool! I might be able to afford that!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Was that rocket full bore? If not what was the nozzle?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

That was a really big help. I am going to try to get that. How do I turn it on though?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:That was a really big help. I am going to try to get that. How do I turn it on though?
You will need to either make a battery to jr connector adapter, or plan to replace the JR connector on the altimeter.

There are some caveats.

You will need to download and install the Fly Dream/Hobby King software and drivers and load them to a windows pc. Until now, there had been no immediate readout unless you risked taking a laptop to the field. The bluetooth transmitter changes that but adds a little weight and cost.

Support is very low. You will be relying on the HK product msg boards for info.

The altimeter is not hardened in a case and is more vulnerable to crashes than altimeter II for example.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Good details. I will still look into it though. Besides I can leave the laptop. Can this work multiple launches or do you have to download to PC every time.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

WRA2. Would a peak altitude altimeter such as the altimeter 1 be sufficient if I have another camera viewing the screen at all times to record altitude vs. time?
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

For a competition that requires a logging altimeter.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland