Anti gravity

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anti gravity

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:For a competition that requires a logging altimeter.
That might work. You should try it and post some results before actually attempting to set a record. so we can see how the data looks. Then we will put it up for a vote.

The only problem I can see is that the number of samples per second might not be good enough. (resolution) (think SDTV vs HDTV or monitor resolution)

Actually telemetry systems would also be allowed where the logging occurs on a receiver on the ground. The goal of the rule is to provide altitude vs time flight curves.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

As of right now I only have the Altimeter Two. But I might purchase the Altimeter One for aircraft tests or bugwubbers altimeter.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I would be good if the WRA2 considered changing the rules on the account that the NAR accepts logging altimeters. Check this site: https://www.jollylogic.com/products/altimetertwo/
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I would be good if the WRA2 considered changing the rules on the account that the NAR accepts logging altimeters. Check this site: https://www.jollylogic.com/products/altimetertwo/
Why? That wouldn't be fair to all the teams that already went out and bought (or already are using) a logging altimeter or the weight advantage a "peak" altimeter would give too ("peak" altimeters tend to be smaller in size than logging) What about records already set using the logging altimeters. (especially when we have classes that can use the peak altimeter)
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Okay what ever. Isn't there just one class for peak altimeter. The duration needs none at all correct.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Okay what ever. Isn't there just one class for peak altimeter. The duration needs none at all correct.
Peak altimeters are not allowed for the high power competitions.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh I didn't know that.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:If antigavity is not a WRA2 member then that means that their is no official record so I can built one to go several hundred feet? Is this correct?
Although impressive and it does stand as high mark for "anything goes" 2 liter bottle rockets, that flight doesn't qualify under the reinforced 2 liter competition in several areas. Use of compressed 100% nitrogen, no onboard camera, lack of logging altimeter etc.

The unreinforced competition is limited to 100 psi and is targeted at those that don't have access to a high pressure compressor/scuba tanks or want to deal with the expense of making a carbon wrapped bottle.
That was only a single flight. I have always suspected that this rocket was very unreliable and couldn't repeat this feat without many tries. It also is worth noting that they never launched it ever again, so I bet it exploded sometime after this video was made. I'd love to see that video!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Possibly. I recently emailed, Ken Schellenburg and he said that he is making an unreinforced 4 stage rocket that he expects to go at least 3000'. He also says he has reinforced a bottle to hold up to 3300 psi. That is his best bottle. That is probably as high as his tank went.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Possibly. I recently emailed, Ken Schellenburg and he said that he is making an unreinforced 4 stage rocket that he expects to go at least 3000'. He also says he has reinforced a bottle to hold up to 3300 psi. That is his best bottle. That is probably as high as his tank went.
Damn that's scary high.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

If it wasn't nitrogen, he probably could make a scuba tank.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Possibly. I recently emailed, Ken Schellenburg and he said that he is making an unreinforced 4 stage rocket that he expects to go at least 3000'. He also says he has reinforced a bottle to hold up to 3300 psi. That is his best bottle. That is probably as high as his tank went.
3300 sounds familiar. I think that is a limit to how much you can compress air before some of the gasses start to turn to liquid and then it's a phase change rocket.

I'd love to read what Anti Gravity said exactly, since not long ago the same guy was claiming he had a water rocket that would go 30,000 feet high. That's right 3 with 4 zeroes.

:weird:
Bill W.
Team Seneca
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Team Seneca wrote:
3300 sounds familiar. I think that is a limit to how much you can compress air before some of the gasses start to turn to liquid and then it's a phase change rocket.

I'd love to read what Anti Gravity said exactly, since not long ago the same guy was claiming he had a water rocket that would go 30,000 feet high. That's right 3 with 4 zeroes.

:weird:
I mean it'd be fun to reuse an SRB from the Space Shuttle to make a carbon tank from, but damn that'd be expensive.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

This is what he said:

I asked him how to wind a bottle and if he was going for anymore records.

I'm always working on a new water rocket world record, but it's a big, long-term project. The controller program that I wrote for my electric rocket will eventually migrate back to the water rockets for the next record. (I hope).
and

and

Winding a pop bottle with carbon fibre is messy and dangerous. Make sure to wear eye protection, a good respirator rated for epoxy, and good protective clothing and chemical gloves. I generally inflate the bottle to about 40 psi and turn it on a homemade low-torque lathe with a foot pedal speed control. Carbon filament (24000 fibers) is pulled through an epoxy pot to soak it on its way to winding. Wind radially, axially and diagonally. The bottle serves only as an airtight bladder to contain the pressurized air.

Nozzle is crimped into the mouth of the bottle using a PEX ring crimper. The pop bottle lid won't stand the high pressures.

My best bottle, which I haven't launched yet, passed a pressure test of 3300 psi.

I'm hoping to do my next world record with a 3 or 4 stage rocket using unreinforced bottles.

Best regards,

Ken Schellenberg
AntiGravity Research Corporation

ps Take a look at our 3-stage rocket!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

In case there are people out there who don't know it, PEX plumbing uses metal rings to crimp the connections together and would not be considered legal in any water rocket competition we know of. Such a rocket might qualify for "Personal Best", but would be disqualified under any existing competition rules.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison