Anti gravity

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anti gravity

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:This is what he said:

I asked him how to wind a bottle and if he was going for anymore records.

I'm always working on a new water rocket world record, but it's a big, long-term project. The controller program that I wrote for my electric rocket will eventually migrate back to the water rockets for the next record. (I hope).
and

and

Winding a pop bottle with carbon fibre is messy and dangerous. Make sure to wear eye protection, a good respirator rated for epoxy, and good protective clothing and chemical gloves. I generally inflate the bottle to about 40 psi and turn it on a homemade low-torque lathe with a foot pedal speed control. Carbon filament (24000 fibers) is pulled through an epoxy pot to soak it on its way to winding. Wind radially, axially and diagonally. The bottle serves only as an airtight bladder to contain the pressurized air.

Nozzle is crimped into the mouth of the bottle using a PEX ring crimper. The pop bottle lid won't stand the high pressures.

My best bottle, which I haven't launched yet, passed a pressure test of 3300 psi.

I'm hoping to do my next world record with a 3 or 4 stage rocket using unreinforced bottles.

Best regards,

Ken Schellenberg
AntiGravity Research Corporation

ps Take a look at our 3-stage rocket!
AntiGravity is welcome to compete for a world record if they choose but they will have to compete under the established class rules.

For the carbon wrapped bottle, they could either enter in the single stage competition:

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_A_Rules.php

or the reinforced bottle world record competition:

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_E_Rules.php

for the 4 stage unreinforced rocket, they could enter in the multi-stage competition:

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_B_Rules.php

They might need some redesign to eliminate the metal Pex crimp in order to qualify.

Please pass this on to them if you get a chance.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I will pass it on but the problem would be holding the high pressures back with plastic. I'm sure they could do it though, with enough thought put into it.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I will pass it on but the problem would be holding the high pressures back with plastic. I'm sure they could do it though, with enough thought put into it.
Why would that be a problem? The rocket that holds the current record used no metal in the construction of the pressure vessel, end caps, or nozzle.

Their 4 stage rocket is not reinforced to no "high pressure" worries there either.
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Was U.S. WR's rocket using compressed gas to 3300 psi. I could be wrong but I don't think it did. Besides, if I am correct, theirs was full bore. The is a much larger variety of release methods to choose from for full bore rather than a tiny nozzle.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Ken Schellerburg doesn't seem to care much about the WRA2. He seems to be like George Katz. He doesn't follow the rules others have to follow, but is willing to claim the "world record" be it official or unofficial. I am not saying though that George has intentions for the world record.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Ken Schellerburg doesn't seem to care much about the WRA2. He seems to be like George Katz. He doesn't follow the rules others have to follow, but is willing to claim the "world record" be it official or unofficial. I am not saying though that George has intentions for the world record.
I thought you were mad that it costs a lot of money to compete in Class A? What's going to happen when some rogue teams start claiming records that aren't peer approved using designs that fall outside the accepted norms? You're going to end up with anarchy at the minimum, and it will probably set off an arms race where the team with the deepest pockets will make the "no rules" record so expensive that nobody will ever be able to compete.

Why would anyone want to return to those divisive days before there were rules?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Ken Schellerburg doesn't seem to care much about the WRA2. He seems to be like George Katz. He doesn't follow the rules others have to follow, but is willing to claim the "world record" be it official or unofficial. I am not saying though that George has intentions for the world record.
Not sure why Ken would feel that way, our association recognized the Anti Gravity self proclaimed record of 1242 feet until a team flew an a WRA2 compliant average altitude higher. Maybe you should invite him to join this forum so he could see what the WRA2 is all about. It would seem like a good way for him to promote his products if he participated in the discussions here.
Lisa Walker,
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I thought you were mad that it costs a lot of money to compete in Class A? What's going to happen when some rogue teams start claiming records that aren't peer approved using designs that fall outside the accepted norms? You're going to end up with anarchy at the minimum, and it will probably set off an arms race where the team with the deepest pockets will make the "no rules" record so expensive that nobody will ever be able to compete.

Why would anyone want to return to those divisive days before there were rules?
For people that are new to water rocketry, prior to 2003 before the WRA2 formed, there was total chaos when it came to water rocket records. Teams were proclaiming records left and right (usually using the record claim to advertise a product, promote their website or get their "15 minutes of fame"). Conflicts were the norm between teams claiming records and there was no "standard" to which records could be compared.

One team would claim the water rocket record for a rocket built out of a Pepsi bottle while another claimed one for a rocket built out of a Coke bottle. The WRA2 was formed to designate a set of class rules (which every other world record competition has) to ensure that apples be compared with apples and oranges to oranges.

Spaceman is right on one thing though. If there were no rules and classes didn't exist, there would be a big "arms race" until the team with the deepest pockets and or some other advantage would set the record so high that no one would be able to challenge it.
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I agree. I wish Ken Schellenburg would try to compete though. It would be nice to see some competition after seven years.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I agree. I wish Ken Schellenburg would try to compete though. It would be nice to see some competition after seven years.
I agree.

The "I won't follow the rules others have to follow, but am willing to claim the "world record" be it official or unofficial" that both teams you mention sounds more like an excuse for "lack of technical ability".

I believe that Ken would probably benefit more by claiming an "official record" than if he claimed his own "backyard world record".
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Although technically it is a high altitude, maybe even a "world record" he needs to follow all the rules that other have to follow. I'm sure USWR would be alot higher if their were no rules, but then major companies would be competing and that would be like an WR apocalypse.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Although technically it is a high altitude, maybe even a "world record" he needs to follow all the rules that other have to follow. I'm sure USWR would be alot higher if their were no rules, but then major companies would be competing and that would be like an WR apocalypse.
Any non-compliant flight would go into the "personal best" category and would not be considered a record. Although the term "backyard record" really describes it correctly.

If I remember correctly USWR has a flight of nearly 2200 feet as their "personal best".

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Standings.php
Lisa Walker,
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Why didn't they go for a record. Was it because they could not repeat it quickly enough. Well it seems than Ken doesn't care; maybe I should send him a link to the WRA2 forum.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Competing against others while ignoring their rules will earn them a big fat asterisk in the history of water rockets.

Like a home run record using 'roids.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I agree. I wish Ken Schellenburg would try to compete though. It would be nice to see some competition after seven years.
Well, if he's going to use metal parts, or other features that make it illegal not only under our rules, but also illegal under the local laws, then is it really record when compared to someone who is trying to follow all the right regulation and laws?

If this is the wild west, what's to stop someone from making up their own unit of measurement and calling it a record. They can have the first water rocket to fly 50,000 fooboids high!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison