3 part testing

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.

Anyone interested in a report about the time it takes for splices to dry and their burst pressures?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Absolutely!
100%
Sure. I guess so.
No votes
Not really.
No votes

Total votes: 4
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

3 part testing

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Hi all

I am embarking on a project to determine the burst pressures of a USWR slip joint splice after waiting different duration for the adhesive to cure. I will do one test for 24 hours, one for 48 hours, and one for 4 days. We all know it works if you wait a week so their is no point in doing that. Important: I am using 1 liter bottles so pounds applied may have less effect that with 2 liter bottles. My question is is this interesting to you, so I will go ahead if 5 people like the idea and want to see the results? I am certainly interested. I noticed a poll could be used below, so please answer the question I asked.

Team S.P.W.R.

At S.P.W.R. we are determined to try new testing and things that no one has tried before.

Also, if anyone has any questions regarding glue (not $100 epoxy) please ask and I will be happy to post a video of a splice being pressure tested with that glue if it is available at my local stores.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: 3 part testing

Post by bugwubber »

Do you mist your joints before assembly?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Sometimes. I find it makes them a quicker cure but not as strong. If a bunch of people want this I am going to try this.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

First test 24 hours with PL Premium done. Result: Leaking at 65 psi.

More to come with the 48 hours and 4 day testing.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:First test 24 hours with PL Premium done. Result: Leaking at 65 psi.

More to come with the 48 hours and 4 day testing.
Taking videos of the tests?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I am but it is a tedious process to upload the video because I first have to convert it. Tomorrow the 4 day splice will be done, so I will upload content of that. That is the most important in my opinion. The reason it is hard is because the limited number of filed types allowed for uploading. I may start a thread asking about this.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I am but it is a tedious process to upload the video because I first have to convert it. Tomorrow the 4 day splice will be done, so I will upload content of that. That is the most important in my opinion. The reason it is hard is because the limited number of filed types allowed for uploading. I may start a thread asking about this.
yeah that's why I started posting my videos to youtube (when I was posting video from iphone) and then posting links to them. Youtube is taking just about any format now.

What tape are you putting around the outside?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

On the splice? Orange Duct Tape.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to have YouTube. The only reason I have a Facebook is to post comments. I have no home page and probably never will, although when I "move out" of the house with my parents, I will probably make a website, get every account I ever wanted and also get stuff that I want to make cool things.........potassium nitrate, gunpowder, torch etc.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

This kind of testing is very tedious because it takes a lot of samples to get a good result. One weak bottle can throw off your test results.One mistake in shrinking a bottle can cause a failure that throws all results off. You really have to make a lot of test bottles and try them all to get some solid statistics.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I've done a few tests.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I've done a few tests.
Ok, that's the way to go. The results should be interesting.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Be posting all results within the next few weeks with a video of one of them. The tedious converting process is what limits video posting for me!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland