Getting back to WR

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Getting back to WR

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

I have taken a break from WR over the past couple months and now am getting back. Some friends I know live in a different neighborhood about 600' from my house. I am using a 2' FTC rocket with no recovery system to launch it toward their house. They host a science class on Tuesday mornings so that is when I'll launch. I call it, PBMM, short for Project Ballistic Mail Missile.

Yesterday I was launching FTC covers with no fins. The highest was pressurized to 115 psi and was 4' long. It went 287'.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Getting back to WR

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I have taken a break from WR over the past couple months and now am getting back. Some friends I know live in a different neighborhood about 600' from my house. I am using a 2' FTC rocket with no recovery system to launch it toward their house. They host a science class on Tuesday mornings so that is when I'll launch. I call it, PBMM, short for Project Ballistic Mail Missile.

Yesterday I was launching FTC covers with no fins. The highest was pressurized to 115 psi and was 4' long. It went 287'.
Neat! Be sure to save the newspaper clippings. ;-)

Are you going to give them any warning or just surprise them?

Did this come from Antigravity's Water Rocket Dodgeball game?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

nope it didn't come from the game, just an idea I've tried with small pyro's but they don't get the distance on a c engine.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:nope it didn't come from the game, just an idea I've tried with small pyro's but they don't get the distance on a c engine.
Ok was wondering. The sell it for $150- 10 water rockets to pelt your friends with.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

That sounds like you would never hit anybody, and if you did, ouch!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:I have taken a break from WR over the past couple months and now am getting back. Some friends I know live in a different neighborhood about 600' from my house. I am using a 2' FTC rocket with no recovery system to launch it toward their house. They host a science class on Tuesday mornings so that is when I'll launch. I call it, PBMM, short for Project Ballistic Mail Missile.

Neat! Be sure to save the newspaper clippings. ;-)

Are you going to give them any warning or just surprise them?

Did this come from Antigravity's Water Rocket Dodgeball game?
We never had much success with finless FTC unless we added a lot of ballast to the nose section. At one time we thought making the fins really small or leaving them off would give higher flights because of the reduced drag, but the ballast we needed to keep it going straight made up for the difference and it didn't really end up helping.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I was bored. Not going fur altitude, no recovery system, just bored, it ended up landing on pavement and breaking the pvc endcap.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I was bored. Not going fur altitude, no recovery system, just bored, it ended up landing on pavement and breaking the pvc endcap.
Sorry to hear it broke. I use PET on both ends, thinking that might be a little more durable. The ghost rockets we made used plastic bag skirts in place of fins for directional stability. The drag on the tail just needs to be greater than the nose.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I was bored. Not going fur altitude, no recovery system, just bored, it ended up landing on pavement and breaking the pvc endcap.
There are PET pipes and fittings used for industrial purposes that are nearly impossible to get unless you're buying bulk from a distributor. Too bad they don't sell them at the hardware store like PVC and ABS pipes.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison