First water rockets at my club

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

First water rockets at my club

Post by rstaff3 »

Yesterday, I flew two water rockets at the MDRA high power launch, one 5L with chute and one FTC backslider. I do believe I am the first to do so. The rockets and flights garnered a lot of interest and the LCO was patient with my on field prep/pressurization. Overall the launches were a big hit, although there was one user error. Rather than repeat the details, I'll point you to my launch report http://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/2014/ ... 014-8.html, should you be interested.

At least two people filmed the launches but they were surprised by how quick they were. If any come out and get posted, I'll link them in.
mazuzuri
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: First water rockets at my club

Post by mazuzuri »

First off, congratulations on the sucessfull flights.
Secondly would you mind me asking what is MDRA? is it some sort of annual rocket convention/event?
Lastly did you have any altimeters on the water rockets? or did you fly them purely for show?
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

MDRA is the Maryland Delaware Rocketry Association, an independent club on Maryland's Eastern Shore. http://www.mdrocketry.org/index.html

I have no altimeter that I trust to my water rocket skills, so not, they were only intended to test my ability to build 'em.

Thanks for the conrats too :)
mazuzuri
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by mazuzuri »

Ah nice, i wish there were rocket associations or clubs like that in Denmark. But unfortuneatly the danish rules are extremely strict, thus barely anyone bothers with this sort of stuff. Unless you can get a leasing agreement with the danish military to utilise their training areas, you are not allowed to launch pyrotechnich rockets anywhere, not even the smallest of motors.
I have no altimeter that I trust to my water rocket skills
Hehe i follow you on that, i have bought an altimeter, but it will remain groundside until i'm recently satisfied it would survive one of my rockets.
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

Thanks to Bob at Liberty Launch Systems(http://www.libertylaunchsystems.com/), I got some videos of a couple of my water launches. Two of each launch were from tripod mounted GoPro's and the other was from a handheld camera. Most of the content was me prepping the rockets and waiting for the LCO, so I cropped and slowed them down.

Here's the link to the first one. If interested, you can then navigate to see the others.

https://flic.kr/p/nYmJed
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Cool. Checking it out now!
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Please use the attachment feature to post photos to this forum.
It helps prevent "broken images" or "dead links" in the future.

Thank you
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

WRA2 wrote:

Thank you
I have to admit that I (again) forgot to attach the linked video. Now that I try to load one, the forum says it doesn't support mp4's? So, links it will be for videos.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

rstaff3 wrote:
WRA2 wrote:

Thank you
I have to admit that I (again) forgot to attach the linked video. Now that I try to load one, the forum says it doesn't support mp4's? So, links it will be for videos.
The mp4 extension has been enabled.
If the file size is an issue, I would recommend youtube and then embed the video into the post.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

ftc1 2.mp4
(15.68 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
That seemed to work. Can you add support for Flickr embeds? Of course, an embedded Youtube looks nice but it is no more persistent than any other link.
rstaff3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by rstaff3 »

By 'work' I meant the site accepted the file. However, the resulting video will not play on my computer. Can anyone else play it?